How much job time do you spend looking for tools and parts?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
On any job that takes more than about 15 minutes I must spend about a third of my time looking for tools and parts I put down a minute ago and that disappear the moment I put them down. <br /><br />Or that I think maybe I took somewhere else but can't remember where and spend ages backtracking, when really they silenty rolled along the concrete under the car or boat or whatever and neatly wedged themselves under a tyre or a jack or a rag with 100% invisibility to the naked eye. <br /><br />Or the 3/8 drive socket I'm looking for is still on the 3/8 drive adapter for the 1/2 handle on the end of a 4" extension piece and my brain is fixed on finding a socket on its own so I keep missing it.<br /><br />Or the tool or part fell into the car's engine bay and didn't hit concrete so they're stuck on something dark and inacessible and out of view between me and the concrete which can't be seen with torches or mirrors and even if they can they can't be reached with pickle grabbers or flexible magnets or anything else except a carefully bent bit of wire that could get them out except it keeps getting caught on something just as it's about to dislodge the thing.<br /><br />Etc etc etc.<br /><br />At least it's better than a few years ago when my stupid dog was young and stole anything I put down and took it to some secret spot in the backyard that could take forever to find.<br /><br />Am I the only one who has this problem?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: How much job time do you spend looking for tools and parts?

I have a 5-year-old boy that does that to me all the time.<br /><br />You know what Murphy's Law for Mechanics is, don't you? Anything dropped will find it's way to the oil drain pan. ;)

one more cast

Captain

At this time in my life ,after a divorce and two moves I don't know where anything is but back in my prior life all my tools had a place and if I was working on a project and had to look for a tool then I would stop everything and put all my tools in there dedicated place and start over. Nothing worse then looking for tools.

NYMINUTE

Captain

The walking back and forth to get tools is a killer too.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Wow, I didn't realize it until you mentioned about looking for stuff. Since my kids are out of the house, I don't seem to have that problem much any more. :p Now to get my dog trained to hand me tools instead of getting them all slobery. YUK!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I'd say a third is about right, but it can be much, much longer, up to 150% or more if I have to go to home depot or the parts store to replace it.<br /><br />Of course that would include the time it takes to go back home and get the scrap of paper with part no., dimensions, hardware list or whatever. And the time I spend going back out to the car to get the aforementioned scrap of paper.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

It ticks me off too.. <br /><br />one thing I've done to help this in certain situations is wearing a simple open 'nail bag' on a belt.. appropriatly sized hand tools like sockets, wrenches, extensions, screw drivers etc., that can hide themselves w/o a problem go from hand to 'pouch' that way I KNOW where it is!<br /><br />..load up the 'pouch' with what ya need and dive into it.<br /><br /><br />Now, having one fall out of your hand and into the abyss is another story.. :rolleyes: <br /><br />as fer looking for parts goes .. take a few minutes before hand to plan out what ya need .. If organisation isn't healthy .. yer screwed from the start!!<br /><br />when I was running Carpentry crews nothing pi$$ed me off more than guys running back and forth from what they were working on and the job trailer!! :mad: :mad: <br /><br />"Oh, we're framing garage walls this morning?!:<br /><br />- put your nail bags on<br />- close valves on compressor and power up<br />- oil guns and stapler<br />- roll out air hose and power cords<br />- set out and connect guns and saws<br />- grab 100' tape, 2'square, 6'level, 12' straight edge, hammer tacker and staples, BFH, enough wall anchor nuts and washers and set in a safe convienient spot<br />- make sure you have 5/8" spade bit installed in electric drill for wall anchors<br />- FILL YOUR NAIL BAGS AND CHALK BOX!! <br />- put your safety glasses on<br /><br />.. then grab the plan and get to work "<br /><br /> ;)

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> Wow, I didn't realize it until you mentioned about looking for stuff. Since my kids are out of the house, I don't seem to have that problem much any more.
Aint that funny how that werks SS??<br /><br />Now, if they'd just bring the dang tools back after they came in and "borrowed" them. I swear, someday I'm gonna change the locks around here.

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, I dont work on commision any more, but when I was on line in the body shop, time was money.<br /><br />I found out early on that those trays with wheels (Small roll around benches), are the greatest things there are for keeping things at your finger tips. I still use them. Its actually a learning process, not laying things on the car and putting them on the cart. A couple times a day I would "Regroup" and put things back in the tool box and start over. and "NEVER" close the hood untill you put your tools away to make sure you didnt leave something under there.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

OH MAN! This is one of pet peaves at werk. I am in irrigation. There are four of us who maintain a large gated community (huge,actually), but the others drive "Workman"'s . These are buggies that many gulf courses use in leu of driving trucks on turf. They are like overpriced golf carts on steriods. I, on the other hand, drive a pickup truck.<br /> When I came to werk there a little over a year ago, this new pickup was an empty truck, except for one of those aluminum truck boxes mounted on one side. My boss talked the mech into installing another that was laying-around oxidizing in the yard..<br />I proceded to stock this truck with all manner of parts and fittings we normally use in the field. I was told not to do that anymore. Now, i must drive my empty truck back to the yard for most jobs.<br />The boss said holding an inventory on the truck messed-up the inventory in stock at the yard...Said it was costing too much to order parts which we may allready have onboard my werk truck... It just don't make sense to me. If I were him, I'd stock it, include that stock in inventory, and only go thru the expense of stocking one time, while maiuntaining an inventory on both. <br />But then, I aint the boss iether.<br />The boss aint allways right, but he's allways the boss.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I spend more time walkin' over the next street to find the tools that I chucked............

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> OH MAN! This is one of pet peaves at werk. I am in irrigation. There are four of us who maintain a large gated community (huge,actually), but the others drive "Workman"'s . These are buggies that many gulf courses use in leu of driving trucks on turf. They are like overpriced golf carts on steriods. I, on the other hand, drive a pickup truck.<br /> When I came to werk there a little over a year ago, this new pickup was an empty truck, except for one of those aluminum truck boxes mounted on one side. My boss talked the mech into installing another that was laying-around oxidizing in the yard..<br />I proceded to stock this truck with all manner of parts and fittings we normally use in the field. I was told not to do that anymore. Now, i must drive my empty truck back to the yard for most jobs.<br />The boss said holding an inventory on the truck messed-up the inventory in stock at the yard...Said it was costing too much to order parts which we may allready have onboard my werk truck... It just don't make sense to me. If I were him, I'd stock it, include that stock in inventory, and only go thru the expense of stocking one time, while maiuntaining an inventory on both. <br />But then, I aint the boss iether.<br />The boss aint allways right, but he's allways the boss.
Tell yer boss that Boomyal said he was an idiot! That is the most preposterous way to run a business that I ever heard of. Any business that uses large quantities of small parts/pieces and does not make provisions and proceedures for keeping them readily at hand, is costing a ton of money.<br /><br />press here for printer friendly version. :p

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

12footer, your boss is just plain stoopid. Tell him to ask the Controller. It don't cost more to keep stock in the truck! Unless you use more parts when you have 'em handy, and use fewer when you have to go back to get 'em. Otherwise useage is the same. The costs to carry a pick-up load of parts has to be so small as to be unmeasureable. I'm referring to the "cost of capital." Certainly nothing compared to what you're paying your hourly laborers to get their daily excersize!<br /><br />What happens is this: you had built up your inventory over time. Now, he's reducing the inventory, therefore ordering fewer parts. That's not saving money, that's just reducing his investment (hence, "cost of capital"). Once your truck inventory is used up it'll be right back like it was before.<br /><br />Now, if this is a small privately-owned company with inadequate accounting controls, a shrewd person could figure out how to make this situation pay off, if you know what I mean. And I don't mean you, 12fter (not that I don't think you're shrewd or anything, just that I don't think you're stealing from your employer).

brother chris

Commander

I spend more time looking for tools than I do actually working on any project. <br />Once my friends get their hands on my tools, I can't find anything. I live on a 5 acres and I know my tools are somewhere on the grounds, but it is just a matter of WHERE? <br />I'm in the process of building my own tool shed so I don't have to go through this anymore!

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> I have a 5-year-old boy that does that to me all the time.<br /><br />You know what Murphy's Law for Mechanics is, don't you? Anything dropped will find it's way to the oil drain pan. ;)
I was told that wa the law of selctive gravity. Selective gravity was directly proportionate to the cost and value of the item dropped. The more crucial to the project or more costly to replace, the deeper darker depths it would go to, or into the oil drain pan. I'm always telling my "helpers" as long as it hits the ground, I'm OK with dropping it.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> The walking back and forth to get tools is a killer too.
What really sets me off is walking out from under the car on the hoist to my toolbox not ten feet away...<br />And forgetting what I went to my box for! :confused: :mad:

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Yikes! I do all that just standing at my work bench! I clean up the entire work space before starting on a project and yet still lose tools and parts without moving from the bench. Of course I end up finding them - in my tool pouch, on top of the shelf, behind the battery charger, on the floor, in my hand :eek: . You know, the usual places. :confused: :rolleyes:

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Then there's "Jeezuz springs"<br /><br />You're undoing something that shoots out a spring, which causes you to say "Jeezuz, where did that go?". <br /><br />Little springs don't make much noise when they hit the ground, or anything else, plus they bounce great when they hit something. You'll only find it after you've wasted a couple of days trying to buy the part and finally found someone who has it. Or maybe bought the whole assembly because the spring isn't supplied separately and no spring supplier on the planet has anything like that one.<br /><br />When you go into your workshop with the expensive new assembly, which is a non-return, you will find the original Jeezuz spring within half an hour. If you only bought a new spring it might take a couple of days for the old one to turn up.<br /><br />There's no point waiting because no matter how long you wait the old spring will not turn up until you buy a new part.

Link

Rear Admiral

Darn you Tinkerer <br />I read this right before going out to do a small job at home today!<br /><br />At any job Ive ever had I excel (or seem to) because Im so organized and efficient. But thats were it stops.<br /><br />At home Im a wreck . Had a small job that should have taken no more than 20-30 minutes for one person to do. But I knew what was comming..<br />2 1/2 hours later I was finished! <br />YUP 2 hours just looking for tools and supplies! <br /><br />And I was clock watching thinking of your post :D :D <br />And YES I swore that tonight I would clean and organize everything.. RIGHT! Someday!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br /> Then there's "Jeezuz springs"<br /><br />You're undoing something that shoots out a spring, which causes you to say "Jeezuz, where did that go?". <br /><br />....
gotta love 'em :D <br /><br />I'm so paranoid about 'em I lay down old white bed sheets on the floor when I'm cleaning guns..