How Much Is Reasonable For Toilet Installation

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How about a picture of the head (bathroom). Cramped or plenty of room to do the job?

harringtondav

Commander
Sounds reasonable - for marina prices. And assuming you are replacing an old head, with water and waste hoses in place. If you are reasonably handy, and can stand a little icky, it's usually no big deal. I' helped my pal replace his pump which required a R&R. resetting and connecting the head was the easy part. Easier than plucking up and resetting a home toilet.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Sounds reasonable - for marina prices. And assuming you are replacing an old head, with water and waste hoses in place. If you are reasonably handy, and can stand a little icky, it's usually no big deal. I' helped my pal replace his pump which required a R&R. resetting and connecting the head was the easy part. Easier than plucking up and resetting a home toilet.

I am actually quite handy, but am afraid to try this myself. I guy a few slips down sunk his fishing boat because he (or someone) didn't install the toilet correctly. I didn't know that was possible, but that is what they say.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
They are not hard to do, you just need to pay close attention while you take it apart and then go the exact opposite when you put it back together, don't rush yourself and study what you are doing, I am sure you would be able to do it with no problem at all.

Now that said, if it really intimidates you, then have someone that does it for a living do it, pay the bill and get back to boating, but in looking at your head, you have a lot of room in there and it should not be a problem at all.

:)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Compared to some I've seen, you have a load of room. You could dump a new one in there easy, but if you don't feel confident, having a pro do the work would keep your head clear.

$250 is worth the peace of mind.

harringtondav

Commander
I am actually quite handy, but am afraid to try this myself. I guy a few slips down sunk his fishing boat because he (or someone) didn't install the toilet correctly. I didn't know that was possible, but that is what they say.

Forgetting to close a seacock before detaching the supply hose can turn out badly. Thinking this was at play with your slip mate. Checking the job for leaks afterward also helps.

robert graham

Admiral
If he comes in and does the job right then $250 sounds fine....I mean what can you get these days for $250?....Heck, the doctor charges $500 to burn off a wart!...

roffey

Commander
to install a head on a brand new boat is one thing but to install a head on a older boat for me would be completely different, I know its all the same only a little messier and if all the right steps are taken ahead (pun intended) of time it should go smoothly, lol. $250 for me would be a deal.... but I would likely do it my self.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
It's not that bad a job. I removed mine, rebuilt it and reinstalled it. Empty the holding tank, run plenty of fresh water through the toilet and there'll be little to no ick in it.

Why are you replacing it? If it isn't worth rebuilding (hard to imagine- it's usually an easy job) why not replace it with the same model that's in there? If you're upgrading to an electric flush from a manual, most manufacturers offer the same toilet in an electric flush model, or offer a conversion kit for the manual toilet you have.

My .02

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
That is one flash dunny room,
pot plant, hand towel with purty anchors,
all those shiny surfaces that you could eat off,

nuthin' like mine lol