How much fuel can I expect to burn?

guyinfl27

Cadet
I am in the final phase of my boat restoration and just purchased a 115 suzuki 2 stroke for the boat. I still need to put a fuel tank in the boat, so I need to figure out what I can expect as far as fuel consumption from the motor. The boat is a 20' cc v-hull and for its size is pretty light, I plan on making long runs of 20 miles round trip or more, I just don't want to push it with too small of a fuel tank. Thanks in advance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: How much fuel can I expect to burn?

Fuel consumption is a very elusive number to obtain unless you have a flow meter or make some test runs at specific rpm and actually measure the fuel consumption. However, at wide open throttle, your engine will burn roughly 10% of its rated horsepower or in your case 11.5 gallons/hour. Since you may then ask well -- what does that mean in miles/gallon, you can't tell that unless you measure consumption at the end of a trip run at a specific speed.
If you boat runs 30 MPH at wide open throttle and you burn 10 g/hr a 30 mile trip would cost you 10 gallons of fuel which comes to 3 mpg. Most boats in the 20 foot range will have 30 gallon or larger fuel tanks. At a slower cruise speed of say 2/3 throttle consumption might be in the 7 - 8 g/hr range. Fuel economy is very dependent on load, speed, hull design and conditioin, water conditions, wind, and engine mechanical condition. Having engine installation and prop optimized for those conditions helps greatly.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

you want at least a 20 gallon tank, what ever size you put in, you will wish you had more fuel on board.
Plan on never using more than 1/3 of your total fuel one way, so you have 1/3 to get back, and reserve fuel.

so a 10 mile one way trip will use about 5-10 gallons. so i would guess 30 would be a good number.

douglloyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I vote at least 40 and 60 if you have room.

guyinfl27

Cadet

Thanks for all the input! I think I have a pretty good idea of what I am going to do now.

Marlinman10

Seaman

All good stuff has been said so far. I've been off shore fishing many many times with all kinds of boats and without knowing much about your set up my guess would be 3 mpg at best. You'll have to do some checking to know for sure.