How much foam?

jayhunt3

Cadet
I am looking to replace the foam in my 16 ft. dual console sportcraft that is a 1976. The original foam was only in the center section on either side of the keel. I need a rough estimate of the amount of 4 pound foam to order from US Composites. Thanks Duxman

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How much foam?

Originally posted by Duxman:<br />[QB] I need a rough estimate of the amount of 4 pound foam to order from US Composites. /QB]
Get out the calculator and a ruler....<br /><br />calculate your approx. volume and go from there figuring about 6-7 gallons will go into a cubic ft, then order a little extra since it never quite blows/expands for us quite as well as it does in the labratory.<br /><br />The 2pound/sq.ft. blows about 30 to 1 under ideal conditions, making 30 gallons of foam per gallon of mix.<br /><br />And, the 4 pound blows to 15 to one. <br /><br />If it was me, I'd use the foam that blows to 2 pounds/cu. ft. rather than the 4, unless you need it to strengthen the structure of the hull.<br /><br />It'll displace the same amount of water, but you use half as much and save 50% of the weight of using the 4 pound as the bubbles in it are bigger.<br /><br />Ed.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Get enough to achieve 16 cubic feet of foam, providing there is enough room under the floor. 16 cubic feet is enough for your size boat. Good luck...

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

hello, <br /> can i pick a little about "foam" use, not for boats . <br /><br /> got a hot tub cover and the foam core weighs a ton. a new cover is $400. I figure most of that is in tailoring the cover. these things seem to go bad every 3 years. <br /> Can i use this foam you speak of to make a new insert. 60" round, 3 inches at the diameter tappered to 2inches at the circumference. <br /> i figure it might take a little to make a form but the repetition of buying a new cover bites. <br /><br />any imput, thanks