How Much Epoxy?

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm replacing the wood transom and floors in my Tracker v17. How much coverage does a gallon of epoxy resin get on wood with no fiberglass. I haven't seen it listed on any of the resen manufacturers websites.

I figure I need enough to cover 3 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Thanks for the help

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How Much Epoxy?

I just replaced my transom and almost done with the deck. I'm on my 5th gallon and it should finish the job. My boat is an old Wellcraft I/O with a pretty deep V. I'm guessing yours is an outboard so your transom isn't nearly as big, so I'd guess you'll need 3 gallons or so. Then again, I coated all sides of my plywood and I'm covering the top of the whole deck with glass. I was quite liberal with the epoxy, you might get by with less if you're on a tight budget. I used US Composites epoxy.

erikgreen

Captain

Epoxy without glass will eventually leak, it'll just do it later than poly without glass would. You need to use glass to cover the wood.

You also *must* use glass to tie your transom to the rest of the boat, unless it's aluminum and bolted in. The transom is more than just a stiff place to hang the motor, it has to tie into the stringers and hull, and for that you need several glass layers.

To answer the actual question you asked, a gallon of epoxy covers a bit more than 120 square feet depending on how you spread it. About the same coverage as a really thick epoxy paint or Duratec primer.

Erik

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is an aluminum boat. From reading the forums it appears that most people just coat the wood with the Epoxy resin without the glass for an aluminum boat, maybe I'm missing something there. This is a small boat used in fresh water only. I plan on buying exterior grade ply, coating with epoxy resin, then installing the transom. The floor will get carpet added.