how much does my leg weigh

Timothybre

Cadet
I have an older Volvo Penta 280 leg and I need to change the billows. So mw question is how much dose the stern drive (leg) weigh. Can me and my buddy just use our muscles to remove and reinstall the leg?

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpeg
    IMG_0700.jpeg
    890.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0881.jpeg
    IMG_0881.jpeg
    791.4 KB · Views: 4

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... 'round about 100 lbs. or slightly less,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can do it yourself.

put a piece of 1/4" plywood between the driveway and the skeg. lower the drive, remove the pins, remove the helmet pin and rotate the helmet up, remove the shift cable pin and retention plate, pull the 2 bellows clamps and the hose clamp, then pull the drive up and back.

Timothybre

Cadet
I'm sorry but some of what you were saying I done understand. So I need to buy a or build a frame so the leg wont fall over when its not attached to the boat?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
5 yrs ago I would have said...it's clumsy but quite manageable. 4 yrs ago I popped a hernia on a RV tire of all things.
Bravado has left the building so to speak.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm sorry but some of what you were saying I done understand. So I need to buy a or build a frame so the leg wont fall over when its not attached to the boat?
no one said anything about a frame

and yes, if not attached to the boat, you will need to hold it in the upright position, or bear hug it and set it on the tailgate of your truck or your work bench.

if you want to build a stand to hold the drive up. then do so. scrap lumber and an $8 dolly from harbor freight works well.

This is from the last few pages of the thread in my sig

0122221816-jpg.355021

Timothybre

Cadet
no one said anything about a frame

and yes, if not attached to the boat, you will need to hold it in the upright position, or bear hug it and set it on the tailgate of your truck or your work bench.

if you want to build a stand to hold the drive up. then do so. scrap lumber and an $8 dolly from harbor freight works well.

This is from the last few pages of the thread in my sig

0122221816-jpg.355021
thank you so much for all your help I'm a little new to inboards and I am great full for the help.