How much anchor rope do you let out?

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I saw the post on types of anchors and I wondered how much rope I let out?<br /><br />I have a 17' alum semi V flatbottom. We went out fishing last weekend and seemed to have some problems holding the front in place in very light wind.<br /><br />I couldn't decide if it was because my wife was handling the anchor on the bow, because I had the wrong anchor up there (18 LB river anchor) or because there is some secret to dropping the anchor?<br /><br />We switched and had her use the 20 navy anchor up there and it seemed to fix it?<br /><br />When you drop the anchor down and it hits bottom, do you let out a certain amount more of rope????? How much?<br /><br />THANKS!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How much anchor rope do you let out?

If you need the anchor to hold you against a strong current, it pays to let out more rope. The more you let out, the more the anchor line gets pulled sideways, instead of up & down. <br />This gives it a better hold on the bottom.

cowfarmer250

Cadet

it also pays to have some chain ,this weighs the rope down so it pulls more parralel to the bottom

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always thought you needed 5 times the anchor rope to the depth of the water. 15 feet of water you need 75 feet of rope. And definately some chain, I fish out of mostly 20 footers and use 5 to 6 feet of chain! You can hold with less rope, it depends on current and tidal situation but the 5-1 should hold you in even a tough current!

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For 20m depth I put out 60m rope with 5m chain. This works with the current in the Waitemata. I do have some more rope available in case of emergency.<br />Ross

crab bait

Captain

MAKO is rite-on with the info.. now the powers-that-be are sayin' 7 to 1 ratio for permenate/overnite anchorage..

crab bait

Captain

ROSS could be also , but who knows meteric system .. i'm talkin' yanks here

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!