how may of you guys have had one of these??

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: how may of you guys have had one of these??

Built one with my kids a couple of years ago. We tested it and went out to a huge field behind Arby's in Prescott Valley, AZ. We trained that bad boy on some Antelope grazing in the area. Was getting dark and hard to aim it but we at least scared them out of the field. No direct hits but we certainly tried. Kids went wild. Teenagers actually. We were all 12 at heart that night.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

This immaturarity really upsets me. (Try butane lighter fluid) Telling people how to make dangerous weapons, (Duct tape and beer cans work in a pinch) serves no community service. <br /><br />Try oversizing the spuds and packing them tight in the barrel. IF you want to get arrested. Kids these days I tell you..... ;)

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

We used tennis balls for ours, back when I was in the navy. Spray tennis balls with lighter fluid, and shoot them out. Makes a beautiful roman candle going out over the ocean at night. We used to get 3 or 4 shots off the fantail before we had to pack it up and get below. The officers never really saw the fun in it.

gaugeguy

Captain

When using PVC for a combustion chamber and barrel you can add rifling grooves to the barrel to give the spuds added accuracy :cool:

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Build it out of aluminum pipe with a remote ignitor. For fuel use oxy /acetylene. Stay way back!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Have one at the huntin' shack that I've retired ... it's all fun and games until you send an Idaho Russet through the roof of your own tool shed.<br /><br />Compliments of Jim Beam Rye :rolleyes:

ebbtide176

Commander

i finally broke down and made one a few yrs ago, took it camping with my friends & their sons. it was funny watching the boys apprehension at their 1st time feeling that recoil. then they proceeded to use up all the 'new'potatoes for cooking. mine looks just like that diagram, and it will almost launch a spud over the cell tower behind my house. i beveled the pipe end, and it makes a tight fit when you push the spud in. <br /><br />i had to demonstrate the use for my neighbor a few weeks ago, and i think my wife almost had a coronary when that cannon went off outside the bedroom window after dark :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Need a little advice.<br /><br />I want to build one, but have a couple of questions that I cound find an answer to.<br /><br />WHat kind of ignitor are you using? Is it the regular BBQ or fireplace lighter, or something different?<br /><br />Give me a rough idea of how much hair spray to spray. One second, 5 seconds, etc????<br /><br />Ken

one more cast

Captain

just a plain old BBQ grill ignitor and I beleive about a 2 second shot of hair spray if I remember right.

ndemge

Commander

I had one back in HS,,, hated hair spray, it makes the end soooo sticky.<br /><br />I like the propane ball valve... but do you open it up first to air out and let O2 in?

eeboater

Commander

Hmmm... Spuds. Spuds are for babies. Lets talk BOWLING BALLS!!!! <br /><br /> Click Right There ----------------------->Launch it!!! <br /><br />Sean

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

The one I made, the entire back end of the combustion chamber would screw off for easy fueling and airing out. The barrel was about 5ft long.<br /><br />The method was simple, obviously. Put the potato in, fuel it, screw the cap on, and ignite. However, we got smart one day. We put the potato at the END (exit end) of the pipe, and fueled and capped. We then pushed to potato the REST of the way into the barrel, and this provided a bit of pre-compression, much like increasing the compression ratio in your engine. We got significantly more output.<br /><br />Of course, I would never do that now, far too dangerous.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Been wondering if these would fall under some new homeland security law or terrorist tool. <br /><br />You have to ( supposed to) get a permit to launch a model rocket. Caused a huge ruckus at the high school rocketing club since none of the students were old enough to get a permit.