how many of you are hoarding supplies?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I get a kick out of watching everyone crowd to the gas pump when there are rumors of a shortage. Got a question... when they do run out... how far are you going to go on that tank?<br /><br />People that rush on supplies and fuel create the shortages. <br /><br />I'm considering the possiblity of picking up a 22 and some shells, some fish hooks and line and I keep a 5 gallon gas can in the garage. (gas for the weed eater.. dont wanna use a sickle to mow the grass)<br /><br />I figure I could eat bunny rabbits, and fish should worst come to worst. Cant imagine storing all that food and should gas run out... that one extra tank isnt going to do much good anyway... glad i'm within walking distance of fish filled waters. and bunny filled forests.

Homerr

Commander
Re: how many of you are hoarding supplies?

I reload all my bullets ('cept for the rimfires)<br />And I have all the tasty animals I could ever need in our forrests! :) <br /><br />I didn't rush out and horde anything. (Ok... I bought a couple of bags of candy) :p <br /><br /><br />H.

ZmOz

Captain

Not at all. Disasters don't happen here. Not enough people for terrorists to bother. It was huge news when an "F0" tornado came through. No hurricanes. Few wildfires. I'm too far from the ocean to worry about a tsunami, and too high up to worry about a flood. Only bad thing that could happen is an earthquake, and the most damage would be a few cracks in my walls.<br /><br />I do keep a loaded .38 revolver handy. ;)

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Wimp, Get a gun lock for that gun too. Don't let the size fool you,Reagan took one to the chest and almost died. Are you going to get some training so you aren't a danger to yourself?<br /><br /> P.S. Don't shoot your eye out.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

:edit:<br />nevermind

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Bought a bunch of gas the day before the hurricane. Figured I would need it for the boat this weekend, and buying it a week early actually saved me $10.<br /><br />I always have gas, either to run the generator incase of power outage, or to evacuate with. With generator I can run furnace, well pump, and basic household circuits. I have maccaroni, cereal, and canned food. Can easily last a week in the winter, 2-3 in warm weather.<br /><br />""Cant imagine storing all that food""<br /><br />A couple dozen cans of veggies go a long way.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> Bought a bunch of gas the day before the hurricane. Figured I would need it for the boat this weekend, and buying it a week early actually saved me $10.<br /><br />I always have gas, either to run the generator incase of power outage, or to evacuate with. With generator I can run furnace, well pump, and basic household circuits. I have maccaroni, cereal, and canned food. Can easily last a week in the winter, 2-3 in warm weather.<br /><br />""Cant imagine storing all that food""<br /><br />A couple dozen cans of veggies go a long way.
good points on all accounts.. especially the boat gas :D

Triton II

Commander

We have a freezer full of food and a generator. But neither are for any specific purpose... we're blessed with our weather and our lack of natural disasters... excepting bushfires. Interestingly I first become "attached" to Ms T when she asked if she could stay with me after being evacuated from a bushfire near to her house.

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

i have a gen. thats about it. I do wear a t-shirt when working such jobs on my fire engine, which reads " IF YOU SEE ME RUNNING ITS TO LATE" :p

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

obtained a couple battle packs of mil surp rifle ammo for the impending conflagration.<br /><br />I'm fencing plywood, 2x4's, and nails received from "opportunist scavengers"......LOL

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Why hoarde when you can just loot after the disaster.<br /><br />The trick is to get out to the free for all early, before all the plasma TVs are gone. :D <br /><br />The only thing I did was fill up that morning at one of the cheap stations cause I knew it was going to go up.<br /><br />Ken

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

We refer to the 5 gallon can full of gas as our "strategic oil reserve". :D

ehenry

Commander

Wimperdink, I guess you live close enough to your place of employment to walk to work. Thats cool, I wish I did but I have a 40 mile commute one way every day. Getting to work and emergencies is the reason I try to keep gas in my vehicles. <br /><br />I keep my place stocked with supplies. You can call it hoarding if you want thats fine with me. I call it being prepared. I grow a garden every year for freezing and canning the produce that comes out of it. I hunt and fish and my freezer has plenty of meat from the game my son and I take. I also, along with my neighbor, raise a calf for beef every year too. <br /><br />Different strokes for different folks my friend. I'm not sure where Dandridge, TN is, but come live down here and go through what we're going through and you might change your tune a little bit.

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a bunch of canned food, dry pasta, sauce and such just because I buy alot when it is on sale. I probably have at least 5 jars of Prego and 50 cans of veggies at any given time. As for cooking it I have a camp stove that I keep a few bootles of propane for(power outages). I also keep some water mostly in case a waterline breaks. I always keep a decent supply of ammo(buy on sale), because if I decide to go hunting or to the range I don't want to have to go and buy ammo first. My 38 and 9mm are also loaded. I also have 30 cases of beer so if **** hits the fan at least it will be a good month. :cool: <br /><br />PS Don't forget about your duct tape and plastic.

ehenry

Commander

30 cases of beer d a m n i t boy ! ! ! Can you drink all before it goes green>>

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also keep some kerosene around for my heater, normally it heats my garage as needed, but could be used in the house in an emergency. I have oil heat so during a power outage, my furnace won't work.

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats why you also keep some hard stuff to get you going. Once you get a good buzz going it doesn't really matter much. :D :D :D

LubeDude

Admiral

I hoarded Plastic worms and such all last winter, I have not purchased any all summer long, does that count? :p

eeboater

Commander

I've been hoarding stuff on my TiVo... I want to have something to do this winter... :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> I hoarded Plastic worms and such all last winter, I have not purchased any all summer long, does that count? :p
can ya buy them cheaper in the winter? cause then it doesnt count :D