How Many More Will Die This Way?

NYMINUTE

Captain
ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- A woman was arrested on child abuse charges Tuesday after her 4-year-old daughter was found dead in a filthy motel room where they lived with the woman's husband and five other children, authorities said.<br /><br />The two adults had earlier pleaded no contest to charges stemming from his use of a belt to beat at least two children, including the girl who died, officials said. The Department of Children & Families briefly removed the two from the parents' custody, but the welfare agency ended its supervision more than a year ago.<br /><br />An sheriff's spokeswoman said later Tuesday that the husband is not considered a suspect in the death, and may not have been in Orlando for several days.<br /><br />Deputies found dirty diapers and trash littering the room at the extended-stay motel, and baby bottles containing moldy milk and what could have been maggots, said sheriff's spokeswoman Barbara Miller.<br /><br />Kenya Hill, 27, called 911 Monday and an emergency operator tried to give her CPR instructions for little Kai Gadison, but Hill told the operator it was too late, Miller said.<br /><br />"She said, 'Oh, no, the baby's cold. I think she's dead' and started crying," Miller said.<br /><br />According to motel records, the family checked into the motel August 9.<br /><br />Kai, whose body was found on a bed, may have been dead a day or two, authorities said.<br /><br />Nathan Gadison, the father of five of Hill's six children, served nearly six months in jail after pleading no contest in 2002 to charges of aggravated child abuse and child abuse, plus another nine months for a probation violation, state attorney's office spokesman Randy Means said. The jail time is typical for first offenders, Means said.<br /><br />When Gadison was released from custody in the spring, his case was considered closed.<br /><br />Hill pleaded no contest to two counts each of child neglect and failure to treat and report abuse. Kai and the woman's oldest child, Mikael Hill, now 5, were taken away, and Hill was sentenced to four years probation.<br /><br />It was unclear when Hill regained custody of the two children, though she promised she would satisfy DCF requirements by December 2002. Agency spokeswoman Carrie Hoeppner, citing privacy concerns, refused to confirm whether that date was met. "The whole purpose and whole point of rehabilitation is to reunite families when we can," Hoeppner said.<br /><br />As part of his sentence, Gadison was to have only supervised visits with his children, participate in child-rearing classes and take medication for his mental illnesses. There was no immediate indication if the court order had been lifted and Gadison had been given permission to again live with his family.<br /><br />Miller said Gadison contacted detectives on Tuesday, saying he was in Alabama. She said he is cooperating.<br /><br />DCF has been under scrutiny since the disappearance of Rilya Wilson, a foster child who was in the state-approved care of a woman with a lengthy criminal record.<br /><br />Hill and the five other children -- three girls and two boys, all under the age of 5 -- were taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center. Miller said Hill complained of stomach pains and investigators found bruising on some of the children.<br /><br />Hill was arrested early Tuesday and charged with six counts of child abuse and with violation of her probation. She was being held without bond. A call to her attorney was not immediately returned.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: How Many More Will Die This Way?

Why cant we just shoot the parents on the spot and solve the problem.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As long as there are parents, we will have this problem.

woodrat

Ensign

Now tell me again why we should outlaw abortion?<br /><br />oh, right, this messed up person should just keep producing babies for adoption.

Captn Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, but at least they're from a "Traditional Family"!

rogerwa

Commander

Woodrat.. To your point why don't we murder them in the womb instead of later. <br /><br />Parents being scum don't justify the taking of innocent life.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

then how about forced birth control or even<br />neuter him like the dog he really is!

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Both parents should be taken out behind the barn and shot. <br />But you wait until a lawyer gets hold of it, and it is in court. I can hear it now:<br />Don't you all realize that the mother is the victim here? It's not her fault. She was distressed! She's suffering from Post-Partum Depression. She is opressed. She is sick. She needs our help!!! She wasn't responsible for her actions. She is an underprivileged outcast from society who needs to be taken care of! Her rights are being violated! She needs help!!!!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Capt. Kidd:<br /> Both parents should be taken out behind the barn and shot. <br />But you wait until a lawyer gets hold of it, and it is in court. I can hear it now:<br />Don't you all realize that the mother is the victim here? It's not her fault. She was distressed! She's suffering from Post-Partum Depression. She is opressed. She is sick. She needs our help!!! She wasn't responsible for her actions. She is an underprivileged outcast from society who needs to be taken care of! Her rights are being violated! She needs help!!!!
1.gif
<br />Why mess up the backside of the Barn. Fill a plane with these scuzzballs, fly to Europe, about midway open the door, Bye you POS's. Feed a shark, save a swimmer.

woodrat

Ensign

If the reason for outlawing abortion is the commandment "thou shalt not kill", then you can't very well take them out behind the barn and shoot them, now, can you?<br /><br />the commandment is pretty simple. it does not say "thou shalt not kill unless..."

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Then we have stories like this!<br /><br />How anybody can hurt an innocent child is just unfathomable to me.<br /> <br /><br />» More From The Star Ledger <br /><br /><br /> <br />Clues sought to infant left on doorstep <br />Thursday, December 16, 2004<br />BY KEVIN C. DILWORTH <br />Star-Ledger Staff <br />Irvington Police Sgt. Keith Sandberg says he can't recall the last time anyone just abandoned a live newborn baby in the township. <br /><br />"This is the first live recovery of an infant in recent history," Sandberg said yesterday, referring to the African-American infant girl found on the front doorstep of 499 Stuyvesant Ave., a boarded-up house just north of Clinton Avenue. <br /> <br />Today marks one week since the newborn -- clad only in a diaper, and with a bobby-pin stuck through its still attached umbilical cord -- was left out in the cold. <br /><br />There are no immediate clues as to who did it and why, officials said. <br /><br />The two-story white residence with black trim, with a padlocked wooden door bearing an "Evidence of Mold" warning sign on it, is within walking distance of police headquarters on Civic Square. <br /><br />As an alternative to abandoning the baby, the person "could have walked two blocks and handed the baby to any one of us," Sandberg, the police department's records and identification supervisor, said. <br /><br />New Jersey's Safe Haven Act, a 2000 law that allows parents or guardians to anonymously drop off a baby at a police station or hospital without any fear of criminal prosecution, was established to prevent incidents such as this one, Sandberg said. <br /><br />It was 4:30 p.m. last Thursday when police received a call from Nitesha Knight, who lives near that abandoned house. She said she had been walking to a store, heard a baby crying, investigated and found the newborn shivering on the front steps. <br /><br />Knight picked up the infant, took her to her apartment, clothed her and notified police, Police Chief Michael Chase said. <br /><br />Medical units were alerted and the child -- described as in good condition, weighing 5 pounds 8 ounces and measuring 19 inches in length -- was taken to the neo- natal unit of Beth Israel Hospital in Newark for care and continued observation. <br /><br />The child remains at Beth Israel, while Irvington police continue to search for clues as to who abandoned the girl and why, Chase said. <br /><br />Chase said anyone with information should call Police Detective Kim Williams at (973) 399-6419. <br /><br />Since the Safe Haven Act became law, 18 Garden State infants have safely been turned over to authorities, said Andy Williams, a spokesman for the state Department of Human Service's Division of Youth and Family Services in Trenton. <br /><br />However, the Irvington abandonment brings to 16 the number of babies who were left alone and discarded, Williams said. <br /><br />"In the past year, for example, there was a baby put in a plastic bag and put out in front of a house in Trenton, another baby apparently was thrown into the ocean and washed ashore in Ventnor, near Atlantic City, a baby was found dead on a beach in Monmouth County in March, and another baby was found alive, in November 2003, on the same beach," Williams said. <br /><br />Anyone thinking about abandoning a newborn should call New Jersey's special "Safe Haven for Infants" toll-free hotline -- 1-877-839-2339 -- and talk to someone there, Williams said. <br /><br />"Anyone who finds themself in this situation can call there," Williams said. "Obviously, we would prefer that mothers get prenatal care and get some counseling and go through an adoption process. That would seem like a better thing for the parent and the child. <br /><br />"However, if it doesn't work out that way, then this (the Safe Haven effort) is a great resort," Williams said. "They can turn to any police station or hospital room and no questions asked." <br /><br />Depending on the circumstances involved with the abandoned baby in Irvington, Sandberg said, the person responsible could face criminal child abandonment and child endangerment charges. <br /><br /> <br /> :mad:

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by woodrat:<br />....If the reason for outlawing abortion is the commandment "thou shalt not kill", then you can't very well take them out behind the barn and shoot them, now, can you?....
Abortion was not the subject matter that I based my statement on. I made my statement on the fact that the parents don't deserve to live if they treat their children this way. Abortion is another subject, not in this post.

woodrat

Ensign

huh, I thought that passing judgement on who does or does not deserve to live was god's job.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Again, religion is not in the context of the statement, or the post. I stated MY opinion.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by mellowyellow:<br /> then how about forced birth control or even<br />neuter him like the dog he really is!
Some dogs don't bark till they are discovered...unfortunately!!

rogerwa

Commander

Are you playing God when advocating abortion??

f_inscreenname

Commander

I'm sorry guys. I want to read your stories but I would not be able to finish due to watering eyes. As parents we are supposed to protect our kids not hurt them. We are the only line of defense they have. Every time I start to read or see something like that I get a knot in my stomach and can not finish. It hits to close to home for me. As for the people who hurt or take away the innocence of children I have a .23 cent piece of lead for them and I am more then willing to do the “time” for using it. Those F’ers!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by f_inscreenname:<br /> I'm sorry guys. I want to read your stories but I would not be able to finish due to watering eyes. As parents we are supposed to protect our kids not hurt them. We are the only line of defense they have. Every time I start to read or see something like that I get a knot in my stomach and can not finish. It hits to close to home for me. As for the people who hurt or take away the innocence of children I have a .23 cent piece of lead for them and I am more then willing to do the “time” for using it. Those F’ers!
Excellently said!

SoulWinner

Commander

Yes f_inscreenname, well and truly said.<br /><br />Woodrat, read Numbers 15:32-36