How many hours should I be comfortable with?

CaptainYARRR

Seaman
I have been looking at mid to late 90s bow ride boats. Thinking I want a V6 or V8, but I see a ton of 4 cylinders. One question I've had about them is, what would you consider reasonable hours? I know there's a lot of variables involved, but what classifieds would you not waste time going to look at?

Is 500 hours too much on like a 96 v-6 for example?

Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: How many hours should I be comfortable with?

I personally wouldn't worry about it. I'd prefer a well maintained boat that someone had used frequently than a neglected boat that was rarely used. Plus all those hour meters measure is how long the ignition was turned on and hour meters can be easily replaced.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

I think 50 hrs per year is average, so a 10 year old boat should have about 500 hrs. Maintenance records are a much better indicator of use/abuse. On both of the used boats I purchased, the price was low enough that I could have replaced the entire drive system (engine and outdrive) and still been well ahead of a new boat price.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I agree, 500 hrs with the oil never changed is a worse deal that a 1000 hr boat that was well maintained. Get it surveyed or at least a close look at the maintenance records.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old

jkust

Rear Admiral

My common sensical response ignoring all the logical replys above. Mid 90's too old, late 90's maybe. Most that age I see on the water are so beat up, I rarely see the exception. Hours wise, here in MN with a really short season 50hours a year is a lot, down south and coastal states 50 hours is just getting warmed up for the season. All that said if you found the exceptionaly well taken care of boat and took all the proper precautions and since a boat that age is way out of style, I wouldn't care as much about the hours. I would expect a 13 or so year old boat to be really inexpensive and that you are more concerned with just having fun on the water. Also at that age, with a boat on the bottom of the depreciation curve, I would absolutly opt for a 6 or 8 cylinder. That is the beauty of buying used, get more than you would buy new.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hour meters can be changed. Records are the best. If you see that the boat has been taken care of and they have records of things that were done to the boat in my humble opinion are the best. I have a 1989 boat and would put it up against a lot newer boats any day.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

I totaly egree .you cant judge a boat by the hour meter alone.

CaptainYARRR

Seaman

So I suppose bottom line is, 500 hours is nothing if it is accompanied by the maintenance records and they look good?

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

you got it.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I totaly egree .you cant judge a boat by the hour meter alone.

Could not agree more. It is sometimes hard to comprehend that a low hour meter can hide a poorly maintained motor (enging/drive combo) until you have lived it. I would hope that newer, higher end, more expensive brands get better care. I can't imagine someone paying 40k for a new boat then neglecting it. Like when I was shopping for cars, the dealers were quick to point out which ones were the Lexus trade ins. Funny thing all the Lexus trade ins were nicer.