How many have completed a Boaters Safety Exam for your state?

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How many have completed a Boaters Safety Exam for your state?

Agree with RickV1955,

bought a boat, just getting ready to take it out after rebuilding. Took the

exam on line so that I felt a bit more comfortable taking it out in the water.

And to lower the insurance.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Like others, I took the Power Squadron class. Newbie boater at the time (last year). During the off season I've been reviewing the Minnesota online safe boating class, and think I'll do that every year as a refresher. They have both a practice test and a certification test, the latter of which costs $15. Since I was certified by the Power Squadron, I'll go through the online class and just take their practice test each year.

It's cheap insurance.

And, yeah, as TD said a few days ago, this topic was covered in another thread. He pasted the link in his response. Also worth reading.

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got mine for Oregon !!!

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Got mine for Wisconsin. It should be required for everyone. Maybe even folow up classes every few years just to keep it fresh.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Got mine for Michigan

ebry710

Ensign

I really couldn't hurt to have people know boating safety.

cadunkle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't feel it should be required as most of it is common sense. I've taken a state required boating safety course, done by a private group, and feel it was worth the $70. Most of it is just common sense though, or things you know just from reading through the state's boating manual. I've been boating for years in another state that doesn't require safety course.

ebry710

Ensign

Knowing what side to pass and who has right away should be common sense, but common sense is not required to own a boat.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Whole family have ours for Canada. Anyone know if that is good for any of the U.S. states while on vacation ???

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whole family have ours for Canada. Anyone know if that is good for any of the U.S. states while on vacation ???

I don't know if the regular operators card is fine. I took mine with a power squadron and that card is accepted in Fl. I would shoot an email to the uscg and they will tell you what you need. I have rented boats in fl for a few years prior to getting my licence here in Can and I was never questioned

Woodee

exsailor

Seaman Apprentice

Got my Connecticut safe boater's certificate years ago when the requirement was first adopted. I took the two day course (given over a weekend) and ended up teaching the "rules of the road" portion because the instructor was clueless and far more interested in watching March Madness on his portable TV. Lame...........completely lame. :mad:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Took a week long evening course with my wife. We both passed the exam and have our Boating Safety Certificate issued by the State Police. I went one step further and got my boat license endorsement on my drivers license.