How many have completed a Boaters Safety Exam for your state?

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm just curious, since it seems that many states do not require that boat operators take this exam. I am in NC, and I took mine online and printed out the certificate...it gave me a 15% discount on my boater's insurance with State Farm, and also I picked up some valuable knowledge about boating laws and regulations, plus some neat facts.

I understand that for most states, if you are under a certain age you have to pass the boaters exam if it's offered by your state, but it seems that once you're 16-18+ in most states, you don't need to have any sort of certification at all. It would just seem like common sense that people should have to learn the rules of the water... :confused:

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How many have completed a Boaters Safety Exam for your state?

I got MD.DC,AND VA have to have all 3 for the potomac river.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I got mine for Florida.

freddyray21

Commander

In Missouri if you were born after Jan 1 1984 then you have to take it. I was born a long time before that. I have studied it some, but not taken it. A lot of good information people on the water should know.

greggholmes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got mine for Washington

nlain

Commander

I have mine for Ga just because I wanted to, I took the online course and learned a few things but at the same time a lot of the rules are just plain common sense, that is probably the same on the road to.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've been thru numerous times for various reasons....when I was young they made all the school kids go thru it because everyone has a boat here it seems, then I went thru because of work, then I went thru it with the wife so she could feel a little more comfortable and now I'm going thru it with my 13 year old son.....I should teach this class, lol.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Me and Husband are covered in OHio

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I got MD.DC,AND VA have to have all 3 for the potomac river.

So your saying if you have your MD boaters saftey card, You can not go boating in VA without their Card?

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just bought a 2005 Proline center console - 115 Mercury Outboard....
In Bradenton, Florida.
Took the on-line safety course - also saved me some $$ on my insurance, as well as giving be the basics....."rules of the road", etc...

Also plan on taking an advanced course as well!!

Rick

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I'm doing a NC boater's exam practice test now and whoa! There is way more in this test than I ever needed to know. Doesn't help they pile on information people don't need to know in order to be a 'safe' boater. Interesting reading nonetheless. Man, they regulate everything :/

"If it is 4pm on a Tuesday outside of daylight savings time and you are swimming the breast stroke off the bow of your vessel, which direction should your vessel be facing?"

A while back I had to retake my motorcycle written exam when I moved to a different state. Bear in mind, I have been riding longer than I have been driving. I just sat down and took the test without bothering to read the local literature. I only got 1 answer wrong and can safely say.. If I rode a motorcycle the way the state wants me to, I would have been dead years ago! I answered the questions thinking "If I were a government beaurocracy, what answer would I want?". Many of the (according to the State, correct) answers I cringed just thinking about.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

NY in 1965, and have more recently sat through classes for both my sons.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

bowman 316-everytime i have been inspected in dc they always ask for a dc card even though my boat is registered in Md. so I just went ahead and got all 3 areas i boat in. that way no bs

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've taken an on-line course and am currently taking the 10 night Power Squadron course along with my 13 year old son.

I was disappointed that only 2 adults and 2 childern are taking the course. I light of current events, I expected a better turn-out. :confused:

I thought they might cancell the class cause of the turn-out, but no. :D

mthieme

Captain

It's time for the grandson to go through this. I'll go with him. The only thing I've ever done is Power Squadron.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

My entire Crew has passed at least one class. I taken 5 classes and even taught one night. Not required in California but good idea for everyone to take. They are fun and it will make you a better Boater.

lil-skipper

Recruit

I'm just curious, since it seems that many states do not require that boat operators take this exam. I am in NC, and I took mine online and printed out the certificate...it gave me a 15% discount on my boater's insurance with State Farm, and also I picked up some valuable knowledge about boating laws and regulations, plus some neat facts.

I understand that for most states, if you are under a certain age you have to pass the boaters exam if it's offered by your state, but it seems that once you're 16-18+ in most states, you don't need to have any sort of certification at all. It would just seem like common sense that people should have to learn the rules of the water... :confused:

Nine yrs. ago when I ordered my new lund 18ft. adventure fisherman, I also took a class put on by the local power squadron, the name of the course was called boatsmart, best damm idea I ever had, it was a good class, with very good advisors & teachers. It lasted about 8wks. for a once aweek, 2hrs. each time. I really wouldn't object to my state making it mandatory to take this class, we have alot of boating people out on the water that believe they know everything and while watching them operate a boat they prove to me that they know nothing at all. I've seen all kinds of people both young and old make serious mistakes, and they don't even realize it or they don't care. A mandatory boating course might be one of the best ideas my state of Indiana could ever come up with. Oh well, I won't hold my breath, because Indiana isn't the state, anyone would think of when it comes to doing real smart things, especially if they can,t skin you out of alot of money.

danfrompgh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Should be a requirement to all new boat owners. I was not actually a newbie but it had been years since I owned another boat and found it to be a great thing for the family to go thru, together!
I personally feel the laws are too lax on kids driving boats. Dad won't give up the keys to his pickup but will hand over the boat to his 16yr old.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got mine for Washington State as well.

The state is gradually (by age, youngest to oldest) requiring boaters to go through the boater safety course and get a Boater's Card of Washington. I think this is a great idea. If a boat with 15+ hp you are required. For me it was a good piece of mind and I enjoyed learning new things about safe boating.