How many boats did you watch try to anchor and fail at you local fireworks display.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Going to the fireworks show is a fun filled day for us. I love watching people that only get the boat out once a year attempt to anchor and/or raft up to watch the show. Last year it was a little breezy and was a high value entertainment event. This year there was no wind but still we watched a dozen or more boats drop rocks, cast iron items. tiny mushrooms, and various other items to anchor up and fail. None of them even attempted to set the anchor or even let out any extra rope just drop it straight down and tie it up. How is it that so many people have failed to learn how to do this? Why do these people continue to go to these events and try to park in between a gazillion other boats? I am glad they do because it make the waiting time pass much faster :)

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well I guess this is another feature that isn't working yet

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
I gotta say I really dislike threads like this and the ones about sitting at the boat ramp for amusement........... I was fortunate to grow up boating/fishing, Dad took the time to teach me the right way of doing things.......and when I was young boat owner I still made stupid mistakes.

Many folks out there simply do not know the correct way in time they learn.......

It seems awfully arrogant to post about their follies...when NON of us where educated seamen at one time..............

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
This year there was no wind but still we watched a dozen or more boats drop rocks, cast iron items. tiny mushrooms, and various other items to anchor up and fail. None of them even attempted to set the anchor or even let out any extra rope just drop it straight down and tie it up. H

Hmm... No wind but yet their anchors didn't hold? That doesn't exactly compute. Oddly enough, because of some unusual circumstances this year, I also used a home-made cast iron anchor! Anchored in no wind in 20 feet of water, with about 30 feet of rope. And guess what, it didn't move an inch! There wasn't tension on the line at any point, 10 pound fishing line could have held me.

UncleWillie

Captain
I must say I was impressed; I dropped a Guardian Anchor with 6 feet of chain in 30 feet of water and then let out just another 10-15 feet of line in a very light current. The line left the bow within 30 degrees of vertical.
2 hours later of swinging lightly on the anchor but not dragging it at all, after watching the show, as I pulled the anchor, it had definitely set itself. I could feel it come out of the bottom with noticeable resistance.

Last edited:

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer
I gotta say I really dislike threads like this and the ones about sitting at the boat ramp for amusement........... I was fortunate to grow up boating/fishing, Dad took the time to teach me the right way of doing things.......and when I was young boat owner I still made stupid mistakes.

Many folks out there simply do not know the correct way in time they learn.......

It seems awfully arrogant to post about their follies...when NON of us where educated seamen at one time..............

And, even the most experienced of us occasionally make mistakes in judgement that result in making us look or sound foolish. I don't get a hell of a lot of pleasure from laughing at other people's troubles, problems, and foibles. Been in that position too many times myself.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Life is too short not to laugh at yourself or others for making boneheaded mistakes and errant judgments that do not threaten life or limb. I particularly enjoy watching the "years of experience" type people.
lol.gif
lol.gif

A little learning is a dangerous thing. Humility helps balance things out

Last edited:

haulnazz15

Captain
You have to understand that not everyone knows how to handle every aspect of boating. I can guarantee you there likely isn't 10% of inland lake boaters (Great Lakers don't count) that would ascribe to the 5:1 scope rule, etc. We were anchored with thousands of other boats on the 4th in ~50ft of water with a mud bottom. I'd be surprised if even the 40' cruisers out there had 250' of rode on the anchor. However, most let out 75-100' and backed up a few feet and called it good. Even with the mud bottom and no scope, most of the boats didn't slip too much with the limited current and no wind.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
My favorite move is when people throw the anchor as far as they possibly can. If you want the anchor 4 feet north of your bow just drive the boat 4 feet further.

I can maybe see doing it if you don't want chain clanking against your hull but most people I see do it don't have a chain. I'm thinking it's one of those things people do just because they see other people do it.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No it was at Sandy Beach. Beautiful weekend weather and a great show !

I suppose the current was moving them around. It was only 15 foot of water and I let out about thirty foot of rope and never moved either. Most of the issues were with pontoon boats and they can blow around in a breeze that is barely detectable. Just for future reference if you are planning to anchor in the tight quarters of a show like that please practice anchoring first ! Also for crying out loud don't drive around with your dock lights on at night unless you are docking !!!!

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I edumacated a newer boater a few weeks back- windy cove- guy in brand new pontoon is trying to drop anchor and hold a position (closer than I liked) to me with his noisy kids, none the less- he kept drifting with zero hold on the ground. He had ZERO scope out and no idea- Basic boating courses from the US power squad teach this stuff! I piped up and told him if he wants to be "here" he needs to drop anchor 100' up "there" as we have a wind blowing (that direction) and throw out another 50-100ft of line... It worked and he held (there) for the rest of the day. I know some things are about learning as you go, maybe as a lifetime boater I'm a bit jaded, but I'd never pick up a potentially dangerous hobby involving water and spinning props without reading the book.

Last edited:

haulnazz15

Captain
Basic boating courses from the US power squad teach this stuff! I piped up and told him if he wants to be "here" he needs to drop anchor 100' up "there" as we have a wind blowing (that direction) and throw out another 50-100ft of line... It worked and he held (there) for the rest of the day. I know some things are about learning as you go, maybe as a lifetime boater I'm a bit jaded, but I'd never pick up a potentially dangerous hobby involving water and spinning props without reading the book.

New boaters don't know that "US Power Squad" exists. To be honest, I've been boating my entire life and have never heard of anyone taking a boating course because they simply aren't popular or required around here (Oklahoma/Texas/etc). There is no test to take, no license to obtain. For most people, it's buy a boat and learn as you go. It's pretty hard to chastise new boaters about things which they may have no way of knowing (like anchoring technique or backing a trailer). The only time I can see giving them an ear-full is when they are doing something that defies common sense: like running near a swim beach, plowing through a no-wake zone, or engaging in other dangerous behavior. Failing to get an anchor set properly in calm conditions isn't normally dangerous, it's just a bit of an annoyance for those around that person.

Also, just about any hobby you can think of can be "potentially dangerous", so you'd better be signing up for classes for everything.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
The Detroit River is a prime example of a what setting an anchor in current is all about. The river runs with a current of maybe 3-6 MPH steady, and the depth is at least 30 and up to 70 feet deep. So doing the math, and realizing how much rope it takes to anchor a larger CC or any boat for that matter, is worth the watch. I don't even get close to the river around fireworks day. Just too much tangles, trouble and danger for me to ever want to head down and watch the fireworks show from the river.
The second best show is watching everyone pack up and leave at the same time, when the show is over, it's really dangerous and you need to be watching everything, and everyone around you to exit safe. Not my idea of a nice boat ride, more like very stressful and dangerous.

Bluepike

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I watched the fireworks the easy way, stayed tied to the dock and saw them just fine.