How many anodes are required?

bj2455

Seaman Apprentice
I love this forum and it has given me the information and confidence to do most of the repairs on my boat by myself. Just did a complete drive reseal on my '89 SeaRay 230 CC with a 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen One outdrive. Everything went great and the boat is running better than ever. I read in these forums about replacing the anodes on the drive but I only find 1 one anywhere on the entire boat. It does have the mercathode system on it but the only anode I find is the trim tab. There is deterioration on it after an extended weekend of runnng. I see ads for anodes on the trim cylinders, under the bell housing etc.,but there does not appear to be anywhere to mount them on my boat. I run strickly in fresh water but I know galvonic corrosion takes place anywhere. Ive also been told running a stainless prop will hasten the corrosion properties. Am I missing something here or are these things that Merc has incorporated in later years? Thank HEAPS for the great information in these forums and any feedback anyone can give me on this anode issue.

Bill

proxyx

Banned
Re: How many anodes are required?

Minimum 1. In salt water they put anywhere they can. Corrosion is still somewhat vague subject. Storing the boat on a lift is the best but majority keep the boat in the water. You see some boats drives eaten away to the bare bone and wonder how and why. Some neighboring boats in the marina that have grounding issue may contribute as well, that's what ppl say.
If only mercathode was a surefire cure...

Bondo

Staff member

There is deterioration on it after an extended weekend of runnng.

Ayuh,... At that time, the 1 was all that was used....
Does your's still Look like a tab by the end of a season,..??
Define Deterioration,..??

proxyx

Banned

checking the bridging ss wires is as important as anodes themselves as they equalize the accumulated galvanic potentials on ALL of the outdrive, you may want to look into that as well, wire-brushing the anodes for good contact from time to time is not a bad practice I've heard.