How long will an outboard last??

snowtrax00

Cadet
I have a 2005 Suzuki 70hp and I love it. It's fuel injected and has about 100 hours on it. I've only had it for two years because it was a leftover so how many hours will it go before it dies (assuming all required maintenance is taken care of).

BOAT DOCTOR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How long will an outboard last??

To me and i seen the worst of the worst on suzuki corrosion internaly.so i will say it depends on how often you run the motor and flush as much as possibly and change your internal anodes if you have already done so.i know crab fisherman who have over 8000 hours

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How long will an outboard last??

I have been using and messing with outboards for around 60 years and I never saw one wear out.

I have seen many killed by neglect or abuse.

I have seen others junked because the owner couldn't find anyone to work on them or failed to find some needed part.

Most of that experience has been with 2 strokes with simple magnetos. I do not trust electronic stuff to last as long and the electronic stuff can't be fixed at the cabin.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe the computers will last forever and have parts available forever. It is too early to say.

Miniaturization of electronics has made many complex circuits disposable. There are many thousands of circuits in your EFI computer. If one breaks you need a whole new computer. . .if they are still available.

Modern consumer electronic devices are disposable. . .throw away. Outboards may be moving in the same direction.

Were I going into the wilderness for a long stay I would take a 50s-60s JohnnyRude twin, and trust her to keep me mobile on the water.