How long have you been following the Terri Schiavo case?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Simple poll here.. I know the topic has been run into the ground the last few weeks, and I'm not trying to prolong it any more..<br /><br /> Please take a moment and do this little poll thingy I got going here... I'm asking you folks to please help me to determine if Americas reaction to this case is a knee-jerk reaction, or if America has truely thought about this case for more than a few weeks...<br /><br />Thank you...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: How long have you been following the Terri Schiavo case?

Feb. 25, 1990: 26-year- old Terri Schiavo suffers cardiac arrest. Because her brain was deprived of oxygen, she lapses into what doctors call a persistent vegetative state. <br />1990 -1992: Her husband, Michael Schiavo, and her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, work together to find therapy that will help her improve, but she remains in a coma-like state. <br /><br />November 1992: Michael Schiavo successfully sues the physician who treated his wife before her cariac arrest. A jury awards the couple $1 million, with $700,000 of that designated for her perpetual care. <br /><br />May 1998 (8 years after Terri's heart attack. At this point her brain had already decayed significantly as shown in CT Scans): Michael Schiavo files a petition to end his wife's life support. <br /><br />April 2001: Terri Schiavo's feeding tube is removed. Two days later, a judge orders her feeding resumed in light of a new lawsuit filed by the Schindlers. <br /><br />November 2001-January 2002: Michael Schiavo and the Schindlers try to resolve the case through mediation, but fail to come to an agreement. <br /><br />October 2002: A second trial begins to decide if new therapies might help Terri Schiavo recover. Each side presents conflicting testimony. A doctor chosen by the court testifies that Terri Schiavo's recovery is unlikely. <br /><br />November 2002: A judge again orders Terri Schiavo's feeding tube removed. The Schindlers appeal again. <br /><br />September 2003: With appeals running out, the Schindlers ask a federal court to intervene. Gov. Jeb Bush files a brief in the case supporting the Schindlers. <br /><br />October 10, 2003: The federal court judge says he has no jurisdiction in the Florida case. <br /><br />October 15, 2003: Doctors remove the feeding tube. <br /><br />October 21, 2003: Bush successfully pushes for an emergency act of the state Legislature to restore the feeding tube. The law becomes known as Terri's Law. A lawsuit challenging its constitutionality is immediately filed. <br /><br />September 23, 2004: The Florida Supreme Court strikes down Terri's Law. <br /><br />January 24, 2005: The U.S. Supreme Court refuses to hear arguments for Terri's Law. <br /><br />February 23, 2005: A hearing is scheduled; the Schindlers ask for more time to file appeals. The appeals would address whether new therapies will help their daughter and whether their daughter's religious beliefs prohibit withholding nutrition. <br /><br /> http://news.tbo.com/news/MGBUR26HK5E.html

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I followed as the media reported (tv and newspaper) for several plus years.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) "TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DARN LONGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!! :p :p

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hate to say this, but get ready for another similar case. In my hometown a husband and wife has a baby that is in a coma. The father hasn't been charged as of yet for child abuse. All things indicate it was due to shaken baby syndrome. The child has been put into foster care by the courts. This baby is in a coma and also has a feeding tube. It is just a matter of time when this story will be aired nationwide. <br /><br />The mother of the child has given away all her custodial rights as a parent. If the child dies, then the father is going to be charged. At least this is the way I interpit what is happening.<br /><br />Just a sad shame....

eeboater

Commander

About 4.5-5 years or so...