How long for water to separate out of gas?

Hit It

Seaman
So I've been having some issues with intermittent bogging when cruising ('90 Merc. 4.3L). I'm pretty sure that it's an issue with water in the fuel. I've installed a fuel/water separator filter and am now going to siphon the remaining gas out of the fuel tank. I read that you can let the gas & water separate and then reuse the gas. My question is how long do you need to let the gas to sit to make sure that the gas & water have completely separated out? Does it take place pretty much instantly or do I need to let it sit for a while? If I need to let it sit, how long would you recommend?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: How long for water to separate out of gas?

Overnight should do it. How much gas are we talking about? You should be able to take a sample from the bottom of the container and put in a glass jar and see the water on the bottom.

yeah use a clear container so you can look thru it. If there is water in the tank it will be at the bottom, and should be drawn out first.

superbenk

Commander

Is your water/fuel separated a bowl type you can drain? If so, check the bowl, if not replace the one you have & dump the gas out of the old one into a glass jar. Let it sit overnight.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Put some red food coloring in the gas,it will only mix with the water which will be at the bottom of your container.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I've set the container outside in the winter,let the water freeze, dump off the fuel.Then add some sea foam just for insurance.You can freeze it in a freezer but don't let the wife catch ya!!