How long for water to appear on Muffs?

Chris611

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I run boat on muffs, how long should it take for the water to begin exiting the transom after the engine starts. At this point, I have no overheating problems, but just noticed that if I fire the engine and then climb out of the boat and go back to the outdrive, the water is just beginning to come out. <br /><br />Thanks<br />Chris

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How long for water to appear on Muffs?

That kind of depends on what engine and drive combintaion you have, and what rpm the engine is running.<br />It takes longer for a 7.4L raw water cooled engine to fill with water than it does a 3.0L closed cooled engine.

Road Head

Seaman Apprentice

On my 5.7L, it takes probably 10-20 seconds. I always start the engine, and then jump back there and watch to make sure that water starts coming out.

TilliamWe

Banned

While Don S is exactly right... What you describe CP, has been my experience for years, with 5.7s with Alphas and Bravos.

magster65

Commander

I have 2 :) <br />At, say 1000 rpm, the 7.4 RWC is probably 5 to 7 seconds and the 5.0 MPI FWC is a little quicker.<br />Mind you we have pretty good water pressure in my area.

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Takes my 5.0 about 7-10 seconds at idle speed of about 700rpm's and then the water starts coming out ;)

Chris611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better. I have the 5.7L merc with Alpha 1 outdrive. I always check the water after I verify oil pressure. I must be in better shape this year and getting out of the boat quicker than normal :D <br /><br />Thanks<br />Chris