How long can you marinade steaks?

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
I bought some steaks on sale Tuesday night and put them in marinade in the fridge. I intended to grill them tonight; however, my plans changed.<br /><br />Will they keep until Saturday night (my next best chance to grill)?<br /><br />Should I remove them from the marinade?<br /><br />The marinade is:<br />1/4 Cup Dale's<br />1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar<br />1/4 Cup Lemon Juice<br />2 Tsp Liquid Smoke<br />2 shakes Garlic Powder<br />2 Drops Tabasco

brother chris

Commander
Re: How long can you marinade steaks?

You should be able to marinate them for as long as their SHELF LIFE is. <br />Obviously, the longer you keep them in the marinade, the more they will take like your marinade.<br />Not sure if you want that. But maybe.

D

DJ

It depends on what you're going to do with them.<br /><br />For grilling, they should be great.<br /><br />I've done something similar to that and they were fine.

Twidget

Commander

They should be really tender by then. :)

Harold Paratestis

Seaman Apprentice

We grill on a regular basis. They will be your best steaks ever.

SoulWinner

Commander

James,<br /><br />Try adding other stuff into the marinade, like Guldens mustard, Grey Poupon, cheap yellow mustard; ok, ok I know, I like mustard in my marinades, especially for pork. Also stuff like rosemary, a little sea salt (salt can cause a dryer steak), worchester (different brands taste very different), Terriaki, melted butter, A-1 steak sauce, bar-b-que sauce, etc.<br /><br />I don't leave steak in marinade for more than 30 minutes, or I lose the taste of the meat altogether. For steak, if it is rib-eye, porterhouse, t-bone, fillet mignon, or NY strip, I don't marinate at all. I just give them a rub with Kavanders, garlic, a bit of salt, fresh ground black pepper, or whatever. Sometimes I make little slits in the sides of the steak and poke some halved or quartered garlic cloves in there. Man, now that will put a steak over the top.<br /><br />When grilling steak, try this with a really thick rib-eye. When the coals are white, push them into a pile on one side of the grill. Sear the steaks for 30 seconds on each side above th coals, then move them to the other side of the grill and close the vents so that the temp drops and slow cook them for an hour or two. Keep you eye one the temp so the fire doesn't die out completely.<br /><br />Bon appetite!

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

There are 3 thick t-bone steaks in my glass dish that contains the marinade. Only one of them sits in the marinade and I alternate them.<br /><br />I'll let you know how they turn out.<br /><br />SoulWinner,<br />I'll try some of those ingredients in the future. Sounds good!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JamesCoste:<br /> There are 3 thick t-bone steaks in my glass dish that contains the marinade. Only one of them sits in the marinade and I alternate them.<br /><br />I'll let you know how they turn out.<br /><br />SoulWinner,<br />I'll try some of those ingredients in the future. Sounds good!
Put them in a big ziplock bag and such the air out of it. That'll keep the marinade in contact with all of the meat. <br /><br />mmmmmmmmmm! what time is dinner? :D

SoulWinner

Commander

Boomyal, a food saver works for that!<br /><br />Some other good ingredients for a marinade are orange juice, lime juice, pineapple juice (YUMMY! for pork) and great fruit juice. The citric acid helps tenderize the meat.<br /><br />Also you may want to experiment with adding chives, dill weed, Old Bay Seasoning (for a fish or potato dish), or annatto seed ( for color and a distincive central American flavor).<br /><br />Eat well.

SoulWinner

Commander

Oh BTW, the next time you fix french fries, salt them with Old Bay Seasoning. Oh yeah, that's good stuff!

ehenry

Commander

I always let my steaks marinade for atleast a week. It hasn't made me sick yet. One of my good friends is a butcher and he'll cut his steaks a week or more before he wants to eat them then lets them marinade for four to five days. I started doing what he does and I couldn't believe howm uch better the steaks were. <br /><br />You can go atleast a week is my answer.

SoulWinner

Commander

Oh, and putting some Coka Cola in there will help tenderize them too, and give a fresh steak an aged flavor.

ehenry

Commander

I like to use a little garlic powder, pepper, Rooster sauce and WishBone Italian salad dressing. <br /><br />Then right before I put it on the fire I'll give one side a good sprinkling of sugar. Put the sugared side down to the flame and sprinkle the other side with sugar right before I flip it. A friend thats a chef showed me this. Put the steak on a HOT fire, let sear for bout a minute to a minute and a half, flip and sear the other side for same amount of time. Set the meat off the fire on the other end of your grill and let it bake till desired doneness is achieved. <br /><br />Don't knock the sprinkling of sugar till you try it. When my chef friend told me about it I though "Gross", but its good. The sugar carmelizes and sorta seals the meat.<br /><br />Every now and then if i have a taste for it I'll use a dab of Dale's.<br /><br />If none of the above is available a little salt and pepper and git with the program ! ! !

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> I like to use a little garlic powder, pepper, Rooster sauce and WishBone Italian salad dressing. <br />
How do you convince the rooster to give you some of his sauce? :D <br /><br />Seriously, what is Rooster sauce?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Whatever happened to just eating the steak with nothing on it?<br /><br />I prefer my steak neet. Sometimes I put on Lee and Perrins, but that is cause the steak was cheap.<br /><br />Try it next time.<br /><br />Ken

one more cast

Captain

vinegar will actually cook fish but not sure about steak. For meat I use the (if it smells OK and tastes OK then it should be OK) method.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

James,<br />You need to pack those steaks in ice, box them up and UPS red them to me. I will make sure their fit for consumption.

JRJ

Commander

Originally posted by JamesCoste:<br />
Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> I like to use a little garlic powder, pepper, Rooster sauce and WishBone Italian salad dressing. <br />
How do you convince the rooster to give you some of his sauce? :D <br /><br />Seriously, what is Rooster sauce?
Rooster, maybe Worcestershire Sauce?

ehenry

Commander

Thanks, JrJ! My spelling aint what it use to be.