How long before 3m 5200 can go in the water

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all, I have seen many, many, mixed reviews and stories about 5200 dry time and time to use. This isn't the fast cure kind. Just good ol' 5200.
The tube says "tack free after 48hr/ fully cured 5-7 days"
But I have read constantly that it will cure under water as well.

Long story short, my new to me boat was taking on water and it was found to be the garboard plug was installed with what looked like regular tub n tile caulk, and was leaking.

I pulled it, cleaned it and reseated it with 5200 and filled the screw holes with 5200 then reinstalled and tightened down.

I originally planned on taking the boat out after church today to meet a friend at the sandbar (just got a brand new sea born 22fx he wants to show off!)

Will it be ok to use since it's not under pressure? If it's like what others say (cures under water)

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
AS long as the 5200 is not subject to water rushing past that could wash it out it can go underwater right away.

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
So in the case of a garboard/ drain plug I should be fine then?
After reading and stressing about it on other forums I'm now questioning my procedure for rebedding it. Some say goop it up and tighten it down. Others say loosely attach, then tighten after a day of curing.
I just gooped, filled the holes and tightened. Should this be ok?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Procedure is fine... I'd give it at least 2-3 days before use...

It absolutely IS under pressure when it is submerged.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Go boating and fishing. The drain has no stress and there are too many references about using a water mist to hasten the cure. I have used 5200 for under waterline repairs and dunked the next day. They are still solid.

I'm a goop and tightener. 5200 is so thin that not fully tightening lets it ooze out, which I think would increase the chance of leaking. My opinion anyway.

I'd definitely wait for it to fully cure. While underwater it's definitely under pressure which could compromise the seal. Plus there will be turbulence at the back of the transom which will further increase the chance of the seal being compromised. Something like that is important enough to make sure you do it right, a leak there is a sure way for water to get into the transom.