how in the hel$

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so how do you get the 3in pin stripe off a 19ft bayliner that is 8 yrs old

Re: how in the hel$

lucky for you i just got done doing this about 3 weeks ago. as long as it is not embedded in gel coat and really is a "pin stripe". i used everything on the shelf but the best and extremely fast way i found was to use sunnyside adhesive remover "its made to remove old carpet and tile adhesive. brush it on evenly about 5 foot at a time let sit for a couple minutes try with putty knife if it does not basicly fall off than wait another minute. if it does come off than immediately scrape it off with a "flexible plastic putty knife" and then immediately wipe it down with acetone "and i mean immediately after scraping it off. the sticky pin stripe will come off with ease BUT there is only about a five minute window from the time the pin stripe dissolves until your gel coat AND fiberglass hull goes with it. so watch it carefully and the minute the pin stripe is easy to scrape off "and i mean easy" then do it and then immediately remove the the sunnyside residue with acetone right away if needed go back over with light coating of the adhesive remover again and repeat. all my striping on my 23 foot cruiser came off in less than 3 hours and i had alot including boot stripes and decals. never once did the sunnyside eat into the hull or bubble it. BUT it will if you leave it on to long "to long is more than 15 mintes" then bubbling occurs and roughly 20 minutes you will be doing fiberglass repair. so just watch and test it carefully every minute or so. This truly was effortless and quick as heck. and besides the fumes "do outside" had no problems whatsoever. But again dont let it sit on your fiberglass hull for to long or you will be sorry. otherwise play it safe and get a shelf product and lots of elbow grease.

sorry but the heat gun sucked bad. left lots of gummy adhesive that was a pain to get off, and it was slow. also tried goof off, sticker remover, and a few others. my opinion... they all sucked. try it yourself just test a half inch piece at the rear of the boat.. you will be amazed how fast and great the sunnyside works.

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I Have Used The Heat Gun On A Truck Before And Im Not Trying To Do That Again Even Thow Its A Little Safer I Will Try Your Way Thanks For The Help.

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can use a heat gun. After you remove the pinstripe and there is adhesive the best product I have found is 3M Adhesive remover. It's less than $8.00 dollars and works great.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

You can use a heat gun. After you remove the pinstripe and there is adhesive the best product I have found is 3M Adhesive remover. It's less than $8.00 dollars and works great.

That's funny that's what I was gonna say. I did a whole van worked great.

lundnisswa

Petty Officer 1st Class

At any quality auto body shop they sell a drill mounted eraser, I used it on 20+ year old lettering and pinstripe and they came off with little effort.
Low speed drill + chuck mounted eraser=pinstripe gone with very little effort.
Lund