how important is indexing spark plugs in a ficht?

BluefishBoy

Cadet
I have owned three Ficht engines and never had serious problems with any.
I have always indexed my plugs because thats what you do with a ficht.

I have watched mechanics sort through boxes and boxes of plugs trying to find the right one so that the gap faces the intake.

several questions........

1. How important is the indexing to a Ficht? the Hp Gain can't be to great considering even race mechanics will tell you that it should max out at 5%

2. is it better to use spacers, or buy ten boxes of spark plugs to fine 6 that work?

3. what are the worst case scenarios if it truly is that important.

Thanks, just wondering.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: how important is indexing spark plugs in a ficht?

Don't ever use spacers under the plugs on a FICHT.

The gap is allowed to face the injector (not the intake) or be within about 90? of either side of it. That gives 180? of tolerance. If a plug won't line up on one bank, it will on the opposite bank.

The sparkplug threads are "timed" on each cylinderhead so you only have to swap from one bank to the other, not try them in each plug hole.

Here is a link for more info and a video about E-TEC motors which index their plugs the same way.

http://www.boatsetup.com/PlgIndexing.html

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post?id=4626865

boobie

Supreme Mariner

By having them indexed, you will get better performance out of the mtr because the fuel injector is spraying fuel directly into the open side of the spark plug and igniting better. Also you will get longer plug life out of your plugs and they will not carbon up so fast.

tim1198

Cadet

I have owned three Ficht engines and never had serious problems with any.
I have always indexed my plugs because thats what you do with a ficht.

I have watched mechanics sort through boxes and boxes of plugs trying to find the right one so that the gap faces the intake.

several questions........

1. How important is the indexing to a Ficht? the Hp Gain can't be to great considering even race mechanics will tell you that it should max out at 5%

2. is it better to use spacers, or buy ten boxes of spark plugs to fine 6 that work?

3. what are the worst case scenarios if it truly is that important.

Thanks, just wondering.

First generation of FICHT's (pre 2000) ran without indexing, and excesive carbon buildup were seen at low RPM; so they transferred the design problem onto their customers with $10 plugs where you basically have to buy 2 sets just to make sure all plugs are indexed. I do it, but am not happy about it.

Tim

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Ficht mtr plugs had to be indexed since day one which was in 1997. If you had to buy two sets of plugs you obviously don't know the pattern that they had to be set in, the swapping of cyl banks or the correct torque specs for them.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Plus there's a +/- 90? tolerance around the index point.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agreed Wilde, I've got the old service lit on how to do the plugs.

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure if you need to index them for 2000 and later models. I though it was only for the "pinned" heads. I've always been able to use 1 box of plugs and never needed any more to get the indexing correct. If a plug doesn't work on one side it always seems to work on the other, given the wide torque range they allow.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This post is only 2 yrs old. Maybe start a new one??

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry I missed that. I found it while searching for something else. I'll keep quiet.