How hard is it to change the impellar on my 5.0 SX EFI????

Aviator24

Recruit
Have a volvo I/O with the 270 HP 5 liter SX with EFI. Bought it new 10 years ago and has 275 hours of freshwater lake use only. Dealer after de winterizing explained to me how important this little part is to be replaced EVERY TWO YEARS. Mine is stock. They have the part for about $75 and will install it for ANOTHER $200. I keep a close eye on my temp and it is fine. Never gets near hot temps. I baby this boat. I am super paranoid now though and have went back to school so I could afford the part, just not the other two hundred dollars to have it installed. I am pretty mechnically inclined and have done some other repairs to my boat. Is this a difficult repair?? Where is the part located on the motor?? Half the battle working on the boat is gettting to the part. Any and all input would be appreciated. Thank You...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How hard is it to change the impellar on my 5.0 SX EFI????

Have a volvo I/O with the 270 HP 5 liter SX with EFI

Does this engine have a full model number, or serial number. The pumps have been in different places.

It also depends on the access to your pump. Some take minutes, others due to how the boat was built may require the engine to be pulled. You should be able to look at your pump and tell if you can get to it to replace the impeller. We sure can't.

mtbdudex

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How hard is it to change the impellar on my 5.0 SX EFI????

Like everything it will go at the worst time, my 1996 Four Winns 4.3L impeller went in 2005 while out with friends.
We got towed back to the dock, and I found one at local marine and installed it that evening.

I had a new one put in 2009 when my engine was re-built, since then I've put "just" 35 hrs on the boat.

You can easily find the service manual for your 5.0 SX online, will show steps.
I bought my engine service manual.
(I believe from here?? it's been quite a few years)

Good luck, and don't roll the dice too much longer......