how fast should my 73 chrysler 130 go

pistolp

Cadet
my boat is a 84 18' starcraft speed style boat and i was wondering how fast should the 130 push the boat through the water because i think i had it to maybe 25 this week when was on the water

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: how fast should my 73 chrysler 130 go

32-35 would be a reasonable expectation. This assumes, of course, that prop is correct and not damaged, trim is correct, hull bottom does not have a rocker or hook in it, and the engine is not sick. with a little tweaking and a light load, you might see 40 mph.

pistolp

Cadet

thank you and i was just wondering if you could help me out with another ? she doesnt idle and cuts off at idle and then sputters when i take off im thinking the fuel filter and or the bulb any suggestions thanks again

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got the wrong prop or not running good. My 75hp i run 11 pitch on 17 foot starcraft 170 fishmaster. I can hit 32 with me and my dad with another 200 lb guy 28. Im only running 4500rpm. The most common problem ive found is lack of fuel and the culprut fuel pump. You will need a diaphram kit, my mercury had this problem and was oil feed all oil and no gas.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

These engines tend to foul the plugs very easily. The first indication is a failure to idle well. So, the first thing to do would be to remove the plugs and either clean or replace them. I prefer cleaning since it is easy to do with the surface gap plugs and costs a lot less. You are using the correct plug, aren't you? Champion UL18V (preferred) or L20V (322); or NGK BUHX (preferred) or BUH. Do not use bent electrode plugs or multiple electrode plugs in an effort to get better idle or performance. All you will do is melt a hole in the top of the piston.

Second thing to do would be to be certain that the idle speed is correct. It should be about 700-750 rpm in forward gear in the water. That usually works out to be somewhere around 1000 at idle in neutral. Sounds high, but it is necessary. The engine will "clunk" when put into gear.

The sputtering could be fuel, but some of these engines have a rough spot at about 1500 when accelerating. Nothing you do will get rid of that. However, if the engine sounds rough and stumbles like it is loading up and then clears itself and accelerates, then it is too rich. If it sounds like it is smooth but dying, then accelerates, it is too lean. Lean conditions are dangerous for these engines.

If you mess with the low speed needles, start with the needles 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated. Gradually lean them 1/8 turn at a time until the engine dies lean. Then richen them until the engine runs rough rich or even dies rich. The correct setting is midway between those two points. NO Matter What though, do NOT set the needles leaner than 3/4 turns out from lightly seated, and 7/8 is safer. Too lean and you will melt Piston(s) at high speed runs and it happens so fast, you will have no time to stop before the engine needs a rebuild.