How fast should a 82 Champion 186 with 82 Evinrude V-6 150hp go.

Re: How fast should a 82 Champion 186 with 82 Evinrude V-6 150hp go.

MCM for some reason i actually have better hole shot with my 24 pitch prop over my 21. does this seem right? I thought the lower the pitch the faster hole shot but slower speeds and the higher the pitch the slower hole shot but faster top end speed. right?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What kind of jackplate do you have? If its not hydraulic then it should allow for some manual adjustment without taking the motor off. As long as you dont take the plate off the transom you dont need to reseal the motor to the plate.<br /><br />Its not surprising that the Raker has a better holeshot. It could be that youre too high for the aluminum prop but not high enough for a Raker. Those two props are nothing alike after the fact the both have 3 blades and fit your motor.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a jackplate, why are you planning to move the motor on it? Is it all the way up now? Maybe it's just an offset plate?

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Dhadley you beat me to the question about the jackplate.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well as has been said there's lot's of variables to factor in. Boat size, total surface weight, weight distribution, engine size/performance, etc. just for a few.<br /><br />For instance if all your weight is situated in the aft of the boat it will perform differntly than if it were distributed equally or more toward the bow.<br /><br />You said you bought the boat from your dad's buddy and he could do 48-52 mph but you can't. So it would seem you are doing something different.<br /><br />How much gear did he have? how many passangers? etc.<br /><br />It kinda comes down to experimenting to find out what works best for your situation. Try raising the jack plate as was suggested.<br /><br />Hope this helps & not confuses the situation ;)

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also those compression #'s would help determine the condition of your motor.<br /><br />The hole shot & top speed are secondary to obtaining the proper wot rpm's

There is several holes at the bottom of my jack plate in a half moon shape that has a rod running through it. could this have something to do with what you guys are talking about? It has a lot of play if these can be moved.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That is not a jackplate, thats the trim rod. You dont even need that rod with power trim.<br /><br />So there is no jackplate, the motor is bolted directly to the transom, right?

I have it on a jackplate but it is not hydrulic. I have two holes to choose from. In which I can move the motor. The difference is about two inches.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, I'm totally confused. The part of the motor with the half moon shaped row of holes is part of the motor, not part of a jackplate. <br /><br />At any rate, if you can raise the motor I'd give that a try. Watch the water pressure.

Ok thanks. I did not know the half Moon part was part of the motor. But i do know that I does have two holes on a plate on the transom the motor is attached to the plate and it is the bottom hole.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I beleive that would be the transom mounting brackets

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OOPS, The transom bracket has four holes,

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

O.K. so I'm picturing in my mind you have a plate with 2 holes connected to your transom and mounted to this plate in the bottom hole is your motor's transom mounting bracket, (the bracket w/four holes) right? which hole on the transom bracket, top to bottom, is mounted in the transom plate?<br /><br />Everybody confused yet :D

Thanks for all your help guys I got the jackplate thing figures out now. I plan on getting a compression check done soon and I will let y'all know what the results are.

PACERll

Seaman

Not trying top steal a thread but MCM and Dadley you stated dont use NGK in a OMC. Thats all I use in a Merc and they perform great. Could you possibly explain why not to use them in a OMC. I appreciate the info and will take your advice. I was under the assumption that they would work as well in a OMC and I do thank you for correcting me.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

1FASTLASER, <br /><br />Do a search for NGK plugs or something like that. From what I understand OMC's are sensitve to compustion temps and the NGK's run a little hotter than the Champions. Helps the motors run longer.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1FASTLASER, Nothing personal intended toward you or NGK, that said<br /><br />OMC recomends Champion as oem equip.<br /><br />The champ. L77 series plug was designed per OMC specs.<br /><br />NGK may work just fine in a Merc. A Merc is not OMC and for the price of a spark plug I'll stick with OEM equip. :p

PACERll

Seaman

Thank you and no offense takin at all. As I said not trying to steal post but a quick note to self"Get the NGK's outta my Evinrude and go back to Champions" New to OMC's and dont want to mess up a good running motor. Thanks Guys.