How fast should a 82 Champion 186 with 82 Evinrude V-6 150hp go.

I have a 82 Champion 186 and a 82 Evinrude V-6 150 hp. I use a Raker 24 pitch Stan. Steel prop and I only do 40 MPH (GPS) My fishing buddies say i should go faster about 50-60MPH. Once i put premium in i get out of the hole faster but do not go faster. I aslo use a 21 Pitch aluminum prop that i do not get out of the hole any faster and only do about 30-33 MPH (Gps). The motor runs and sounds good. Does this sound right. I bought this boat this past June from one of my dads buddies and he said he could do 48-52 MPH but i can not. Could anything be wrong or is this about right? And i only get about 2 MPG does this sound right?

CFronzek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How fast should a 82 Champion 186 with 82 Evinrude V-6 150hp go.

Mo.,<br />There are a few things that impact how fast a boat will go. <br />How good is the motor? 1982 was more than 20 years ago. Has the motor ever been redone? If not how high are the cylinder pressures in the motor?<br />How much does the boat weigh with the load you normally carry? You don't have to know this. It's just a rhetorical question. But if you and your buddies all weigh 300+ lb. and you never go to sea without a 200 lb. ice chest full of beer the boat isn't going to go as fast as it did for the previous owners who were teatotalling midgets. Things like water getting into floatation foam and how well you have weight distrubuted to make the boat plane properly all have an effect. <br />Before you go on a big propeller hunt make sure that this basic stuff has been checked out.<br />And make sure you have a tach. The speed analysts all require one.

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your motor is what it supposed to be,if the boat is right,and if it was setup right,with that prop.(if it is right)it will go sixty to sixtyfive.A lot of ifs.PLUS,all the things CFronzek says.

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, Ill give my best.<br /><br />Champions are heavy boats, but a good boat.<br /><br />If all is well it should do an easy 55 flat out, full trim with just you in the boat. Getting 60 MPH out of that 18 boat with 150 HP is posable but will take some doing.<br /><br />The fact that you are only able to get 40 MPH out of her shows me that something is amiss.<br /><br />Show us the #s, do a compression check, WOT RPMs etc.

I usually run about 5200 RPMs at full trim, and it is almost at full throtle. Should the trim effect the RPMS? When I trim it up all the way some times the RPMS jump way up. But at 5200 RPMs thats when it does 40MPH. The total weight of passengers and gear is around 650-680 pounds. Talking about compression, I do not know, but it runs really smooth at idle and at low and full throtle. Could there still be compression problems? How do i check compression? Do I have to take it somewhere. And yes I know that the boat weighs A LOT! Really a lot. But I think it should run faster. Any other suggestions?

MarkHPCA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That sounds like a lot of slip for those numbers. I would check that you don't have a spun hub. It's easy to check, just put a mark, run the boat and see if the mark is stil alingned or if the hub has slipped on the rubber part.

What do you mean MarkHPCA the hub in the prop? Because I have the same problem with my 21 pitch prop and it was redone with the hub rebalanced. Am I talking about the same thing you are? PLease let me know because I wonder if something else is wrong too.

MarkHPCA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The prop is made with a metal center hub that has splines that engage on the propshaft. Then there is a rubber connection around this part that joins it to the rest of the prop. Sometimes the rubber to metal joints slip and this is known as a 'spun hub'. The spinning usually only happens when it is under heavy load like taking off and at WOT but is usually only noticable at WOT.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You will get better input here if you provide:<br /><br />Rpms at WOT and compression readings (see Search for how)as LubeDude recommends. Also -<br /><br />Check for spark jumping a 1/2" gap with a bright blue snap.<br /><br />Do all plugs look the same & what do they look like?<br /><br />With the engine running at idle pull one plug at a time. If the rpms drop a bit the plug is firing. If not you have further troubleshooting to do.

The Plugs are all new Champions. They look great and I had them matched to me motor. They all look the same. They were fouling out before i got the mixture right. I bought a Bottle to measure out exactly the right amount of oil, before i was using a quart bottle and going of that. I run about 5400 RPMS WOT but i only run it at about 5200 RPMS. I do not have compression readings. I need to get them but i do not have a compression checker. Any other input is appreciated.

What would be the right compression # if I had it checked?

G DANE

Commander

Something around 90 - 115, I think, and no more that 10 between any cylinder, at best.

PACERll

Seaman

MoCrappie fisherman I would definatly change those champion plugs out right away and put in NGK plugs. Champions are allright but the NGK's have a much better burn in 2 strokes and they also last longer. Also since I know champions boat like I do I have to say you definatly have something wrong some where. Get those numbers together like the others have stated so everyone can determine if you have a motor issue or a boat issue.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Never use NGK's in an OMC motor. Always use the recommended Champs.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Champions only in an E/J. And 87 octane only, not 93 unless you have increased the compression ratio from stock. Also you didn't mention which Champions. (Q)L77JC4's should work just fine. Even if you do run slightly rich on oil they should be fine.<br /><br />5400 is border line lugging the motor. With a Raker I'd bet you could run the motor mounted higher. That boat should have a jackplate but if you dont have one, think about mounting the motor higher. In any case you need to consider it.

It does have a jackplate and it has two spots (holes) it is mounted in the bottom hole.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have an Autozone nearby they have a tool loan program, you can get compression tester for a small deposit, it should come w/instructions.<br /><br />If all the great advice above with the exception of the NGK plugs doesn't work, try using a lower pitch prop such as a 19 pitch or lower. You should see an increase in wot rpms, hole shot, etc.<br /><br />As CFronzek mentioned earlier there are a lot of variables in determining the correct prop/boat settup. Its all about acheiving optimum performance.<br /><br />Just thought I'd throw 2 or 3 cents in :D

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I take it that the jackplate is a manual plate, thats OK. Try raising it some. Watch the water pressure. Try an inch or so. With the motor higher youll get more top rpm and that will improve the holeshot even more.

I only have to holes. I would have to take out one bolt on each side slide the motor up and then reseal around the jackplate right. does this sound right? Because it is in the bottom hole there is, and it has a sealent around the jackplate.