How fast have you gone with a small outboard?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Exactly like the title says... how fast with a small outboard and what kind of hull was it on? I'm going to try building a boat but am interested to see what kind of speed I can expect out of a small outboard and how I should design the hull for decent performance. :)

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How fast have you gone with a small outboard?

I got 15 kph with my 3.5hp mariner. It's hung off the back of a 13ft homemade canoe. about 2ft max beam. It's a bit tippy, lifejacket is mandatory, not optional. Had to make an extension for the tiller and sit pretty far forward.<br />
1848.jpg
<br /><br />This was taken while I was fitting it to the canoe, hence the big hole in the back!

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

hey lark, ya should be able to get an extra 16mph if ya move the engine up a bit and go to a S/S prop........ :p

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very cool... love the picture its right up my alley... you need a remote steering and throttle for it so you can sit further forward :D

BF

Lieutenant

I posted this before (on SHT). I briefly put a 15 hp 'rude on an ultrasmall 12' tinny cartopper. Basically like if you cut the back 4' off a 16' canoe. It went a bizzilion....clocked on GPS ;)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

uh.. define "small outboard" please...<br /><br />I had a 60hp merc on a 14' jon boat.. To me a 60 is small..

11 footer

Lieutenant

15hp Merc on a 11' whaler did 22mph

brother chris

Commander

I had a 40hp on a 12 ft fiberglass boat. <br />It seemed like it was going to break apart at full throttle. I liked it!

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> How bout a hydroplane <br /> like this one
Bought one just like that in 1985 with a 30/35hp johnnyrude.. didnt have a speedo but it was "scarey" fast. When I sold it the guy took the motor off and replaced it with a newer 15/20hp and raced it for years.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd say anything over 20 or 25 hp is considered no longer small... talkin weight issues too... <br /><br />brother chris and bf.. I love it sounds like too much fun.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did raise it, that photo was not the finished product, been thinking about remote for it.<br /><br />BF, 12 ft is not small, my tinnie is only 9ft, and will have a 9.9 on it, just perfect for getting around my local river and creeks

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol you really need to post that on your shareaproject pages too... too bad your so far away.. I've got an extra set of outriggers you could use for stability LOL :D

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

I rehabbed a 1958 Mercury Mk25 (18 hp) into a fire-breathing speed demon. (LOL- I changed plugs and points :rolleyes: ) When we mounted said all-metal-no-plastic outboard to a 14' SeaNymph 14R boat, the thing was scary fast for such a small ride. I don't know real speed but mid 30's is about right. I do know that in anything over a 1' wave we went airborne! What a hoot that was! <br /><br /> The engine had an above water exhaust and it sounded like a seriously hopped-up YZ dirtbike. The prop was a monstrous 2 blade beast that weighed about 5 lbs. It would start on the second pull after tearing all the skin off youyr fingers. LOL That engine wound up in Canada where it got completely restored amd now pushes a 16' wooden lapstrake boat to 28mph all the time. <br /><br /> UFM82

BF

Lieutenant

lark.... believe me, my 12' tinny is small. It does have a 15" transom but otherwise very little freeboard. (shallower than many canoes) I've had the 15 on a "real" 12' tinny, and that was much less exciting.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

My '88 9.9 Johnson on my 12' deep-vee with myself and 6 gallons of gas on calm water sustains 22.4 MPH at WOT as measured by GPS.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I've got a 5hp Briggs on my 17' Old Town and it does about 14 mph GPS.

D

DJ

Let's talk far.<br /><br />An entire week, many times, in Canada.<br /><br />I have the families old '66' fold up "Lightwin" Evinrude-3 that probably has 3000 hours on it.<br /><br />We would get dropped off, by train, and not see another soul for an entire week. did that for six years.<br /><br />In a week, I think we went through two gallons. That's allot in a 3 Evin.

dsrchamp04

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my little outboard ...ok its a 44c.i. mercury,does 71mph on the back of my marathon boat...see my avatar pic for details....very very fun ride!!