how far should the outdrive splines go into the coupler?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Working on a 1979 grady white i/o with a 1987 470 (3.7) engine with a new sei 106 drive. Tonight at the local lake when taking the boat off the trailer i lost propulsation and then heard a grinding noise. Got the boat back on the trailer. removed the out drive. Found the spline shaft was only going in about a inch. The splines in the coupler are stripped. So before i go and replace the coupler and have the same thing happen all over again. Shouldn't the shaft go in farther?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: how far should the outdrive splines go into the coupler?

Should be 2-1/2" or so. So, something ain't right. Usually you cannot install the outdrive unless the spline shaft goes into the coupler all the way. I suspect the engine may not be in the right place, or there is the wrong type of coupler.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This should explain it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• shaft length.jpg
    shaft length.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 7

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's the input yoke for the outdrive. The one on the outdrive is 8 inches long. I had one laying around for a 1986 alpha and that one measures 9 9/16 inches long. With the newer engine it also requires the longer splined shaft. So it looks like i have to swap yokes and replace the coupler