How Does Your Garden Grow ?

LadyFish

Admiral
In March quite a few of us were discussing planting our gardens. Well, its harvest time at my house. The tomatoes are ripe and huge. Its a good crop this year with just enough rain. So far no critters or bugs in the garden.<br /><br />I do however have 'scales' or at least that what a neighbor said, on my lemon tree. I don't have any idea how to handle those.<br /><br />Have any of your northerners planted yet? And how's everyone elses garden growing?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: How Does Your Garden Grow ?

We just had a hard frost last week.<br />A few have planted around here, but they are protecting the plants with little domes (milk jugs).<br /><br />Asparagus is 4" high !!!<br />The Dandy-Lions are in full bloom.

gaugeguy

Captain

Seedlings are going in this weekend. The herbs are already out on the deck.

ehenry

Commander

My corn is chest high already pinched the suckers off em. My peas are knee high and starting to bloom. My squash and cantalopes are chuggin along. My maters and peppers however are strugglin due to all the rain we've had lately. My oakra is coming on its about shin high not ready to start whippin. My strawberries are really showin out gotta thin em out though. If its dry enough this weekend i'm gonna put the tiller in and try to air the wet spots out a little.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Very slow when your working on a camper when I should be planting :rolleyes: Some things should be in already but it is not to late yet. Lots of flower gardening this week (wife) vegtable garden SHOULD get planted within the week (me). Provided the nice weather dosent send me fishing or camping or both.

18rabbit

Captain

I go to the Chinese produce market on Saturdays. Does that count? :D

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> My okra is coming on its about shin high not ready to start whippin.
OMG :eek: What'd that okra ever do to you?<br /><br />rabbit, a trip to the market does not qualify unless of course you buy garlic and plant it. ;) <br /><br />Roscoe, still getting hard frost? Yikes! :eek: <br /><br />And, Guageguy just exactly what type of herbs do you grow? :confused:

Link

Rear Admiral

Chives and Mint are doing good. Do they count? :)

LadyFish

Admiral

I love cooking with fresh chives and mint, of course it counts Link!!!
7.gif

ob

Admiral

Well I must admit ,I'm somewhat of a wannabe gardner of sorts.Lots of topiary shrubbery and some small splashes of edibles here and there.Our latest backyard addition the wife and I have been creating is a cactus garden right smack dab in the middle of the backyard.I like just about everything that grows but am partial to native shrubs ,trees,and perrenials.Planted lots of rose pink and red verbena just before the great flood this spring and lost a few but the rest are making a comeback.<br /><br />Gotta go tie some leaders now.Me and mama are going fishing bright and early.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The 'volunteer' sunflowers are sprouting and up about 6". Can't have a garden this year because the 8 month old puppy uses it as part of his racetrack. The wife is still trying to get her tomatoes in pot gardens (NO, not that kind of pot... the type you plant flowers in, dummy!) We'll see how it goes and tell ya later.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Well, I'm glad you asked. Our garden is quite well. Mr. Bassy has taken alot of time this year developing quite a lay out. These are what we're growing this year: tomatoes(of course), okra( for the first time). and by the way... what is whipping efhenry? Lots of blackberries, artichokes, radishes, 7 types of grapevines, carrots, celery, lots of mints(peppermint,spearmint and lemon mint), lemonbalm( great in ice tea), onions, garlic, loquats and that's just the start. Then we have the trees: nectarine,peach, apple, 7 pommegranite trees( one year old and already have blossoms), cherry, three different types of plums, pecan, english and black walnut, and almond. <br /> Mr. Bassy has done an awesome job and I am very excited about it. There's nothing like eating from your own garden. <br /> Bassy<br /> :D

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

in northern michigan, we are still waiting for the leaves to open.[and thats the honest truth]

tylerin

Commander

And, Guageguy just exactly what type of herbs do you grow? <br /><br />
Yeah Gaugeguy. :confused: <br />Small Herb garden, <br />Some Chili's (hotter than crap)<br />4 Tangerine tree's<br />2 Grapefruit trees<br />2 Necterine trees (1 New Zealand)<br />1 lemon<br />1 plum<br />1 Peach<br />6 orange<br />1 Rasberry bush<br />2 Avacado (Male- Female)<br />These keep me busy with year round fruit

gaugeguy

Captain

The herbs are the wifes cup o' tea, but I know there is some basil and thyme and a few other green things in the flower boxes :confused: <br /><br />Today is a washout, no seedlings going in today.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

One of the things I've allways found peculiar, is the lack of backyard gardens in my state (florida).<br />When traveling north, every state in the union has a garden in every other yard.... Things that make ya go ,"hmmmmm".<br />But this time of year, I'd be happy just to have a well that pumped water. With Pointer94's help, I'm werking on the problem . But in the meantime, whata hastle!!! I planted some grass plugs in my front yard last month..They are all brown,if not dead hay a horse wouldn't eat.<br />Some day I'll have 'maters n mellons growing out of my palmetto strand out back. But for now, I'll just have to dream.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Bassy:<br />and by the way... what is whipping efhenry?
Step slowly efhenry, step real slow with this one.<br /><br />Just fooling around Bassy :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry for getting off topic.<br />I have tomatoes, green beans, some white and yellow corn, strawberries, and some head lettuce.<br />Oh and 10 rows of taters.<br />Got to have them beans and taters for sure.

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by Bassy:<br /> Mr. Bassy has done an awesome job and I am very excited about it. There's nothing like eating from your own garden.
BASSY!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? You live in California, the produce basket of this great country. You have no business in this thread! It's for the other people that are produce-impaired ! Get out!!! :D :D :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Sigh! This years cashcrop for Boomyal.
020597.jpg
<br /><br />So far no time for any other crop. Usually I do corn. Should have gotten it in the ground a month ago.