How does the foam saturate!

jagged

Seaman Apprentice
I mean how can moisture saturate foam, any foam even in a long period of time? I'm just saying this cause i just spent 200$ to fill the entire bottom of my 14 ft fiberglass vhull and figure with 1 drainhole, usage of bilge pump, definent fiberglass and resin by the gallons, double checking and coating holes, cleats, screws and etc. how this could occur. Maybe it's just boats with alot of drain holes i odn't know. If anyone can help me out here that would be great. lol

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: How does the foam saturate!

The old foams that were used were open cell foams. It didn't take too long of exposure to water for the foam to saturate. The current foams are closed cell, they are much more resistant to saturation, but over time they too can start to saturate. It doesn't matter how well you seal a boat, water always finds a way. The trick is to limit the exposure. It isn't when the boat is being used, its when the boat is not in use that water is taken on.<br /><br />The only sure fire 98% way to prevent water issues is to store the boat under cover, like a car port, garage, one of those pole things with the vinal cover, or under fixed overhead cover at the marina. Leaving the boat in the water at a marina without overhead cover, or leaving it trailered at the house out in the rain and snow is what causes water to build up in the boat, and the next thing you know, you have water damage. You only have to rebuild one boat to realize all of this, and you will never leave it out in the rain again.