how does a yankee farmer make a living?

ebbtide176

Commander
:D i know its pretty offkey for someone to ask this, but i just saw a report that minnesota produces a huge amt of soybean & corn<br /> http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050928/sc_afp/usenergyoilgas_050928134802 <br />and i just can't fit it into my head how someone in the upper states can possibly get something above half grown, much less bring it to harvest.<br /> :D <br /><br />i just thought you yanks spend half the 'summer' shoveling snow, and the other half cutting firewood. down in GA you have to actually irrigate crops due to the extreme heat.<br /><br />lemme havit<br />i'm all ears :D :D :D

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how does a yankee farmer make a living?

We work a lot harder up here. You guys will just have to stop taking them long siestas after lunch. We also talk nice to our plants and they reciprocate by growing.

ebbtide176

Commander

you may have a good point there - how else can i stay up til 3am :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

How does a yankee farmer make a living? Uh, it maybe the illegal crops of marijuana that helps them make a profit. Like soybeans and corn, it has a short growth cycle.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by wildbill59:<br /> We work a lot harder up here...
You been listenin' to Bush too much lately? ;)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

OK two words; ;) Government Subsidized Crops. :D <br />What's the easiest way to doubble your income as a farmer...............put up another mail box!! ;) :D <br /><br />As told to me by a central Minnesota farmer. Ya, sure, youbet’cha

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lived a few years west of the Twin Cities on a 5 acre hobby farm.<br /><br />MN summers may be short, but I had the best crops of veggies of anywhere I ever gardened. <br /><br />Long hours of sunlight and glacial soils (my garden had been a pigsty for about 80 years) made it very easy to look like some kind of horticultural expert. The only place I gardened better soil was in Hawaii.<br /><br />Real small family farmer neighbors worked hard, but made fine crops of corn, soybeans, alfalfa, hay, apples and kitchen crops. One neighbor did 90% of his work with with a brace of magnificent Percheron horses. They didn't make a lot of money, but they had a rich life.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Ebb...Tempature has a lot to do with it, 110 degrees aint for growing things......That's pre-cooked. :D

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Woops double post

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yankee farmer?<br />.<br />Farners here in Kansas have been cutting beens for a few days now. The Milow looks read good as we had a lot of rain thru the early and mid summer moths. Most have got the wheet fields ready to sow next springs wheat crop