How do you tell the difference between paint and gel coat also how to clean protect

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am planning on pulling boat out this afternoon and give it a good wax/clean but, I also just realized I have no idea what or how to tell if it is painted,,,,, gelcoat or paint under gelcoat etc....it does have the original finish on it

Type is in Sig 95 Carver assuming it is gel coat because of year but, want to make sure then again is the process the same for paint as gel coat?

I know there is a link here someplace but, I have not been able to find it this morning on how to if someone has it handy please post it for me

So the sides above the water line are faded/chalky looking but, if you rub your hand on it there is no residue....so I am thinking moderately weathered and faded

So how do you tell the difference in Gel Coat and Paint or am I just a newbie who does not know you put gel coat over paint ???

Procedure for cleaning and waxing please.....I know it is here someplace but, web site i running like crap today

cr2k

Captain
Re: How do you tell the difference between paint and gel coat also how to clean prote

It's gel coat. You do not put gel over paint. The gel coat is the paint. It is resin that has the color mixed in with it and is the very first thing sprayed in to the mold, and the glass is laid on top of it and it is all bonded as one piece. It is part of the boat and not a paint.