How do you not become "that guy" at the boat ramp?

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: How do you not become "that guy" at the boat ramp?

I build high performance boats and test hundreds of boats every year. I spend a lot of time running up and down launch ramps. I see the same thing every time I am down there. People back their trailers into the water too far.
If you aren't driving the boat onto the trailer. you are in too far.
The front 12-18 inches of the forward most bunks on the trailer should be out of the water.
This lines up the eye hook with the strap and v-block correctly. More importantly, it keeps your boat from drifting left and right.
When the bow touches the bunks, it stops the boat without damage (you don't hit the front of the trailer. If you are crooked, turn the wheel opposite the way you want the stern to move and put the boat in forward, straightening the wheel as the boat lines up. No backing up. the boat is straight over the trailer it centers over it by its self. Then gently increase the trottle and slide the boat up to the v-bock. If you are short a bit. Use the damned winch that is why it's there.
If you do it this way, you will never need someone with you. no matter how windy it is you will be so fast and accurate that people will stop and watch you. I swear to God.
I am on the trailer and up the ramp before people who were already in the water when I got to the ramp even have ther boats winched.
AND DO NOT TIE, UNTIE, LOAD, UNLOAD, OR WORK ON YOUR BOAT AT THE RAMP. If you do YOU are the ******* eveyone is talking about.

sandstorm

Cadet

I build high performance boats and test hundreds of boats every year. I spend a lot of time running up and down launch ramps. I see the same thing every time I am down there. People back their trailers into the water too far.
If you aren't driving the boat onto the trailer. you are in too far.
The front 12-18 inches of the forward most bunks on the trailer should be out of the water.
This lines up the eye hook with the strap and v-block correctly. More importantly, it keeps your boat from drifting left and right.
When the bow touches the bunks, it stops the boat without damage (you don't hit the front of the trailer. If you are crooked, turn the wheel opposite the way you want the stern to move and put the boat in forward, straightening the wheel as the boat lines up. No backing up. the boat is straight over the trailer it centers over it by its self. Then gently increase the trottle and slide the boat up to the v-bock. If you are short a bit. Use the damned winch that is why it's there.
If you do it this way, you will never need someone with you. no matter how windy it is you will be so fast and accurate that people will stop and watch you. I swear to God.
I am on the trailer and up the ramp before people who were already in the water when I got to the ramp even have ther boats winched.
AND DO NOT TIE, UNTIE, LOAD, UNLOAD, OR WORK ON YOUR BOAT AT THE RAMP. If you do YOU are the ******* eveyone is talking about.

Thanks for the advice on how to properly load onto the trailer. I'm still struggling with it, and ended up having the boat shift on the trailer a couple times... Not very good for the already anxious newb! But now I know that it's because my trailer is too far in the water. I'll give your method a shot. It's gotta work better than mine. :redface:

j_martin

Admiral

Loading like that, sometimes, especially if there's a cross wind to deal with, I'll hit the trailer 30? or so off alignment. As long as I can get the keel between the bunks, it'll rock in and line up with just a little juggling. The wave action actually helps the process.

If the launch isn't real steep, and the admiral is helping, I don't even get out of the driver's seat. I just tilt up the engine and radio the admiral to pull out into the parking lot. Average load time from back down to drive out is less than a minute. Gives me time to log out of electronics and check all the switches.

j_martin

Admiral

I would have just backed it in to begin with, but I also have had a CDL for 17 years so I'm used to it. Best thing is to just take some time to practice backing the old banana and get comfortable with it. I have used my Freightliner before to launch a boat as well, and people gave me plenty of room.

Yeah, right... Without a backup camera. The trailer is 20 - 30 degrees off alignment when you first see a corner of it in the mirrors.

You ain't the only truck driver on the board, but you might have the tallest tales.