How do you not become "that guy" at the boat ramp?

IHDiesel73L

Seaman
I'm totally new to the boating world-I've been on a few boats, etc...but I've never launched one or brought one back in myself. Is boat ramp etiquette/skills part of most boater safety/licensing courses? Can anyone recommend a good thread or FAQ?

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do you not become "that guy" at the boat ramp?

Also...go to the threads in the "ramp watching" section, and read what NOT to do, and you can also do a forum search on the words "that guy" and "ramp" and you will find MANY threads pertaining to "that guy".

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I also recommend the first time you go out, try to take someone with you that has experience. The first few times you might avoid launching and retrieving at the busy times at your ramp.

Finally, don't overlook practicing backing the trailer down the ramp. Many new boaters struggle with this if they don't have experience towing and backing up a trailer. It can be daunting when you are trying to get it in the right place, there are 15 trucks waiting for you and you have to get it between two other boats or trailers.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since I was just at the ramp a little bit ago and saw some real goofballs, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

1) Use the prep/staging area- that's what its for. Don't be "that guy" who thinks he's only got one or two things to do and he'll be "real quick", so he preps his boat while blocking a ramp spot. If I see you, I'll remind you nicely where the staging area is.
2) Wait your turn. Applies both while waiting for a dock slot and for getting into the line at the ramp. Just because you parked your truck closer to the ramp it doesn't mean that you can "butt in". Do the right thing and drive around and go to the back of the line.
3) Turn down your stereo while putting your boat in the water. Not everyone likes your music, you freak.
4) Be sure your boat will start. Don't be the guy who assumes his boat will start but waits until its sitting on the trailer in a ramp spot to work out issues. Back up, put it in the water, start the boat, and get out of the way so others can start their day on the water.
5) Be courteous when idling over to the dock. Don't cut anyone off and provide others as much space as possible.
6) If someone has just put in and you are on your way out, consider giving the new arrival dock space preference. Otherwise, until the captain can park his boat and move his truck, he's holding up a ramp spot.
7) Don't drive "in" the exit and don't drive "out" the entrance. Go around the loop like everyone else - despite what your Mom told you, you are NOT special.
8) If you see someone screwing up, politely inform them of the right way to do things- for the benefit of everyone. If they thank you, then you've carried on a nice tradition of education. If they give you the finger there is probably no helping them. Pray they forgot their drain plug.
9) If you are standing on the dock and waiting, help incoming boats park and get tied up. Its especially helpful if you are trying to park your boat and the "crew" is still putting on their sunblock.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

All of what the guys have said above is very good advise but if your not comfortable with your tow rig and trailer you need to practice backing because this is going to be one of the biggest issues for a newbie right out of the gate, a check list is another fine suggestion, getting everything in check before leaving home is another(put plug in there) even run her on muffs for a minute or 2, It's also a good idea to mark you moring lines bow & stern along with your fenders for once your in the prep lane you can secure them after you remove your transom straps. Just being methodical in your process will keep you from being that guy and follow this process every time and keep improving on it every time you launch and retrieve. Any other un-answered ? 's fell free to ask everyone likes to help a fellow iboater from being that guy!

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

A check list is a really good idea. There are always people leaving the plug out whether they've been boating 30 years or it's their first time. Also, going when it's slow is GREAT advice. Having 10 people watch you and give you the "hurry your #@@ up" look will only stress you out and make you forget something. Last, feel free to ask for help. I get annoyed at people that are wasting time at the ramp, but I learn you're new to boating then my annoyance goes away and my desire to help you goes up.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Like others have said, don't rush and don't let others rush you - just be efficient. As you do it more and more, you'll find your routine and you'll get better at launching and removal. Keep a checklist like a pilot to help you avoid forgetting the lower unit or the drain plug.

I always stick to the following when launching....
Install plug, remove straps, back down the ramp slowly and into the water until you see the boat float just a bit. Turn the blower on, drop the lower unit down, start the engine, disconnect winch line and push off with your hands if you can reach the trailer from inside the boat- (on small boats, I've never been a fan for using the drive to back off the trailer).

Some guys will do the back up-and-quick-brake method to launch their boat and then quickly grab a bow line, but that technique has its pitfalls if you are not careful. Google "Bill Dance" for a series of good videos.

When returning, ensure the blower is on. The rest is boat dependant, but on my 20' I like to see about 6"-8" of the trailer bunk sticking up out of the water. That allows me to slowly drift into/onto the trailer with enough speed so I can still steer, but slow enough where I'm still in control (barely in gear). I find with this technique that the friction of the carpeted bunks will basically stop the boat right at the bow roller. Shut down the engine, raise the lower unit, and crank the boat the last 2"-3" so the bow sits nicely on the roller. Leave the blower on for a couple of minutes.....

Pull up and out of the ramp and to the exit staging area so you can pull the drain plug and put the straps back on. When you get where you are going, lower the lower unit back down for storage.
Don't forget to the turn the blower off!

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Also, watch out for stop signs while driving in boat ramp parking areas, they wreak havok on trailer fenders!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

the staging area is least known part of the boat launch, if you get your rig ready to go in and ready to go home there you will never be "that guy"

You will run across these pin heads before long, back down the ramp then start unloading all thier stuff, stop to chat, load some more, finally launch only to realize they didn't unstrap the boat, yuck yuck, meanwhile everyone in line is ready to kill them.

You will get it with time, we are all rookies at one point, now by myself I can launch and retrieve in less than 5 minutes on the ramp.

Oh and backing the trailer in too far is probably the biggest rookie mistake, you need to leave enough of the bunks out to catch the boat, this is trial and error too and you will get it.

j_martin

Admiral

In two words.
Pay attention.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good point about backing the trailer too far. If you can drive the boat up and it bumps the back window of your truck...too far. If you're too far, you'll just float over your trailer and there's nothing to hold it in place. Winching it the last 18"-24" is easy compared to trying to center a boat on a trailer that's too deep.

I cheat at the ramp. I back the trailer right next to the dock, & just walk the boat onto the trailer. I have a bow & stern line in each hand and just drag the boat into position.

Last, make a sign or something that you hang on your truck mirror reminding you to put up the drive. I've scrapped my skeg & prop on a couple of ramps and messed them up.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Great advice so far, only thing I would add is to relax, its early in the season and you will have plenty of bad examples to watch this time of year, relax and observe it wont take a rocket scientist to figure out what works and what doesn't

copake

Cadet

Here's the checklist I made for myself. I keep a copy in the car and on the boat. Some of it is boat / me / lake specific, but it might be a good starting point for ya.

Boat Prep Checklist (before leaving):

1. Boat title, boat registration, and trailer registration onboard (in boat glove box)
2. Trailer tire pressure @ 40 psi, including spare tire
3. Lug nuts tight
4. Wheel bearings greased and appear ok
5. Trailer lights connected and working
6. Trailer hitch latch secured to tow vehicle and locking pin inserted
7. Trailer safety chains secured to tow vehicle
8. Bow winch snug
9. Bow safety chain secured to trailer and boat
10. Stern straps secured
11. Outdrive up (and hydraulic cylinder brackets on, if avail)
12. Cover off and stowed
13. Windshield walk-through closed
14. Toys and tow ropes onboard, including air pump
15. PFD?s onboard, one for every person plus a throwable
16. Safety gear onboard (fire extinguisher, flares, flag, horn, anchor with line)
17. Tool box onboard; spare plug, tape, flashlight
18. Engine bay appears ok (belts, hoses, oil and hydraulic fluids)
19. Connect battery, check if battery ok / test start / charge if needed
20. Gas tank full; also add Sta-bil
21. Boat key

Bring:

? Lake Anna / Cuckoo?s Nest parking pass and gate combination
? Lake map / chart
? GPS
? Cell phone
? Ipod
? Drinks and Snacks
? Sunglasses
? Hat
? Fishing gear

At-Water Boat Start Up:

1. (If avail), Outdrive hydraulic cylinder brackets off and stowed
2. Stern straps off and stowed
3. Drain plug in and snug with wrench
4. Bow safety chain removed
5. Bilge dry; check pump
6. Blower on
7. Maneuvering rope secured at bow cleat
8. Unplug trailer lights before backing into water

Shut down & storage:

? Check all items are reinstalled from the Prep Checklist
? Stereo off
? Disconnect battery
? Drain plug out

evinrude20

Seaman

Whatever you do, DO NOT be this guy...

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Me and the wife spent a lot of time watching others do this before we bought our first boat and basically spent our first year at a local lake that is smaller, less crowded and easy access, learning what to do and not to do. We still had issues on our first launch (broke trolling motor blade first thing after lanch at the ramp) and with our boat putting it back on the trailor was an adventure at first. We got into a routine and by the end of the season we were doing pretty well. We are going to a big 2000+ acre lake in less than 3 weeks and feel more comfortable now. You will learn as you go along. Just try and be prepared and be sure your boat will run before you get there. I see people bringing boats down to lakes and a lot of time they may not have run for a while and then they find out that ooops, the motor won't start! This is common and will be frustrating and make others upset. Test the motor before your trip.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I'm totally new to the boating world-I've been on a few boats, etc...but I've never launched one or brought one back in myself. Is boat ramp etiquette/skills part of most boater safety/licensing courses? Can anyone recommend a good thread or FAQ?

1. Make sure you know where the drain plug is and make sure it's in and tight before you launch.

2. Practice preping the boat for launch at home, not at the ramp.

3. Do your first launch early in the morning on a weekday at an uncrowded lake. If there's anyone there it will likely be a fisherman and usually more than willing to give you a hand and let you know when your doing something wrong.

4. Once your get it launched the first time, immediately put it back on the trailer, pull it out and then re-launch. This will ensure that you know what your facing when you try to pull it out later when the ramp is busy.

Ramp Etiquete...

a. Wait your turn.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

3) Turn down your stereo while putting your boat in the water. Not everyone likes your music, you freak.

Great post, strongly agree on all, except one piece. My own personal pet peeve is that just because I like my music loud and it may be "noise" to some, it doesnt make me a bad person, or a bad boater. I follow rules and local laws, come to my lake and see I am not going to infringe on you or other boaters rights to exercise my own rights.

Your point about keeping it down (or off, like I do) at the ramp is 100% right in my book, but dont bash a whole category of boaters over a few bad apples, we all are not freaks.

Otherwise a well thought-out post. Thanks.

--Dan

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It wasn't meant to be insulting - if it came out that way I apologize.

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Every one will say test your motor when you are at home. This is a great piece of advice- I warm mine up on muffs before I go out to the ramp, but this one day some for some reason I wanted to swap fuel lines (two tanks for two lines), well I forgot to plug it back to the motor.

So I prep the boat- transom straps, transom saver, safety chain, drain plug. check back down to the water, boat starts to float, pull up a bit get out and undo the bow strap. (note this ramp does not have a pier to tie off to) jump on hit the primer bulb and turn the key, nothing. Try again nothing, glance back at the fuel filter and its full. So there are four or five trucks behind me waiting to either pull out or pull in, so i quickly get to the front and hook the bow strap on and winch it back on.

pull out to the parking area to see what the problem is, and boy I felt like a dummy. Plugged it back in and got back in line. When the guy that was behind me was walking back to his boat he asked if I got things worked out, told him yeah for got to plug in the fuel line at the motor, he laughed and said that he was thank full that i was not the guy who was going to hold everyone up for 20 mins when their boat wouldnt crank on the ramp.

So if you are having serious problems on the ramp with your boat not cranking, do everyone a favor and either pull out or push off and us a trolling motor to get to the side. at that point someone might be willing to give you a hand trying to find the issues.