How do you make new side panels adhere to boat?

vi

Seaman
I took the side panels out of my 79 Marlin now I want replace with some plywood covered with resin and 1708 (Me thinks). From what I've read on hull repair I need to bed the bottom piece of plywood in PL adhesive, then I can attach to the piece about 8" off the floor that is glassed to the side (gunnal?) of the boat then to the top with SS screws.?

Attachments

• 1 002.jpg
    1 002.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 1 001.jpg
    1 001.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 1 003.jpg
    1 003.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How do you make new side panels adhere to boat?

I would not use the pl, If in fact these are just side panels, I would want them to be easly removed if needed.

I would just go with the ss screws, and fill the holes with marine sealant.

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the upper end, I attached mine w/ ss bolts, nuts and washers. On the lower I used ss screws w/ 90 degree brackest and attached those to the floor. That way I can remove them easily if I have to. Originally, my boat didn't have them. I just added them for storage and appearance.
transomrebuild061-1.jpg

vi

Seaman

Thanks guys, I'll probably be ok with just painting the existing side pieces too? ljc did you put the brackets behind the panel?

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, here's a better pic. You can see the brackets on each side. There are 2 more up front. These sideplates are just for looks and I didn't glass them. I painted them then covered them with marine carpet. 2 seasons and they're as dry as a bone.
transomrebuild076.jpg

vi

Seaman

Thanks ljc , I've gotta find a 10' piece of plywood or join two pieces together as I need at least 10'. I want two compartments on each side then I'll have to put some partitions in to stop stuff from sliding. I'm gonna put the brackets behind the panel as it gets awfull hot here in Las Vegas sunshine. I guess the panel can sit flat on the floor? Is there any stress from bouncing over the waves loosening the panels ?

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's pretty solid and there hasn't been any issues. I was looking at you pics and was thinking what I would consider doing. Starting where the cupholders are located and, looking towards the stern of the boat, I would totally enclose that storage section, as I did in my boat. Looking forward, toward the bow from the cupholders, I would simply bolt a 4 to 6 inch lip on that bottom section. That way you don't have to worry about a continuous 10' piece and it would give you plenty of extra storage. Also, you wouldn't have to deal with that angle near the cupholder. I think it would look good if you finished it right. Hope that makes sense.