how do you keep the bonnett on the polisher?

amidaeus

Seaman
I bought one those polishers from Harbor Freight. I cant get the bonnett from flying around when polishing. Am I using the wrong type bonnett? does anyone know what type I should use for compounding? Can ya give me a link or store name?

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: how do you keep the bonnett on the polisher?

You can always use someones meat grinder if you have one. :rolleyes:

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

I also bought one of Harbor Freights polishers. What I did was cover the backing plate the came with it with the hook side of some 1.5" velcro I had. Now I can use the hook and loop polishing bonnets that HF as well as other tool stores sell. These are very easy to change and stay very secure in place.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

BTW, you can also buy a hook and loop backing pad for about $15. Just needs to have a 5/8" x 11 thread.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Go to an automotive paint store, they will have a very large selection of buffing pads and compounds.

Pun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you dont compound with a bonnet. Bonnets are made for glazing and waxing only. What you need is a wool compounding pad. Get a velcro backing plate and buy some wool pads with velcro backing. Make sure to "spur" the pad frequently to clean it, either with a storebought spur or with a dulled down screwdriver. Spurring keeps the pad clean andthe hairs separated so they can do their job. Also, dont mix chemicals on the same pad. For glazing and waxing, I prefer a foam pad to a wool one. You can buy em to fit the velcro backing plate as well. clean those with a stiff detailer's toothbrush. Just fire up the buffer and run the toothbrush over the surface of the pad.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I also have the HF 7" sander/polisher. Got my velcro backed wool buffin pad (not bonnet) at Carquest across the street from me. (about $12) First few attempts ...the d@mn thing flew across yard...after putting more pressure on it...it decided to stay put....I think the key is to get it exactly centered...alittle off and it will not hold.<br /><br />-JustMrWill