How do you heat your home?

ndemge

Commander
Re: How do you heat your home?

That's a good idea jb.... incase you happen to run out of propane :)

one more cast

Captain

About 600 gallons of propane for the winter plus a cord or so of fireplace wood. If I was able I would go with an outside (stinkbox) wood stove or a wood furnace down cellar since I own about 50 acres of woods. wild bill, that seasoned red oak should bring $40-45/cord and more if you keep it covered and sell it at towered the end of winter.

ZmOz

Captain

I have natural gas...often I'll turn it off and just stay in one room with an electric heater. I've got a half finished waste oil burner I'm building, which will heat water that I will pump through a radiator indoors.<br /><br />
Originally posted by Wimperdink:<br /> Considering setting up solar panels for the heat/ac.. should take a good bite out of the month to month bill but will be a big expense to start with. :)
Unless you get ENORMOUS tax breaks for doing such a thing you will never come close to breaking even. A 55 watt solar panel that costs ~$400 will only make about $15 worth of electricity per year - that's IF you get ideal sun conditions on the panel every single day of the year, which will not happen.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

"I have natural gas...often I'll turn it off and just stay in one room with an electric heater."<br /><br />Ditto.<br /><br />Dave..

Bondo

Staff member

I started building an Outdoor Wood Boiler a couple years ago,...........<br /><br />I Think it's time to Finish That Project,..............<br />I'll get some shots of it for your Redneck Inventions thread OMC......<br /><br />I live in a 100 year old farmhouse,... That's been "Added onto" Many times,.. with No rhyme or reason,.......<br />You can Throw a Cat, Thru the walls about anywhere you want too,..... And,.. That's After I winterize every year..........<br />I burn Oil in my boiler,...... Heat,+ Hotwater,....10 gallons a week in the summer,.... Up to 100 gallons a Week in the Winter,.... Depends on How Cold it is,+ How Hard the wind Blows..............<br /><br />Ayuh,............ I'm about ready to Burn the house Down to stay Warm,.. This winter............ :(

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I sold fire wood 20 some years ago I didn't make any sales until the first frost hit. I'm just sick of looking at it and want it gone. Maybe I should take a clue from the petroleum industry:<br /><br />Post a sign in front of my wood pile, post a price on it, create a chicken little mentality that there won't be any more wood tommorrow because of some triple striped wood beetle and then jack up the price every couple of hours, therefore I've created an artificial climate in which the sheeple will come to my pile and stand there like at an auction and panic bid up the price.<br /><br />Brilliant! Bet that business plan would get an A+ at Harvard.<br /><br />P.S. Don't come around and try and steal my stash, I've contracted out to Haliburton for security.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wild Bill..........<br /><br /> Your stash of oak firewood brings at least $200+ a cord, out here on the S.F. Peninsula and has for years. :eek: After delivery, if you want them to stack it for you, that will cost the buyer extra. Firewood around here is usually delivered by dump truck. :confused: <br /><br />...Bob in Calif... Looking forward to a $300.00 a month gas bill this winter. :mad:

aspeck

Staff member

Geothermal - it's the only way to go!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

All electric, except the outhouse, it's natural gas :D

ehenry

Commander

OMC, around here a cord of firewood will fetch anywhere from $100 to $200 depending on the size you want and how you want it delivered ie:stacked and such. I haven't seen a cord of wood sell for 45 bux in years.....<br /><br />My house is natural gas and from the rumors I've been hearing I'm going to take a shot in the hip pocket this year. I do hav ea fire place and will probably burn some wood since there is going to be a more than ample supply of free wood around these parts all you need to do is cut and haul it.

rogerwa

Commander

I've got a 65000BTU 90+% High efficiency furnace that heats most of my 3000 SF. I also have a 25000BTU direct vent heater in my family room as it is not heated with the rest of the house. I also have GAS water heater.<br /><br />Unfortunately I am a slave to the natural gas prices. But when its 30- I don't know that I could do any better. <br /><br />I have three fireplaces but keeping them all going would still not heat the house.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

We have 2 heat pump systems, one for the upstairs, (general living area) and a second for the lower level. The lower level seldom see much use so it’s kept cooler 60* or so. Both levels also have vent less Propane log fire places. They get used occasionally in the eves if the temp out side drops below 30* or so. With the exception of the fire places and the cooking stove the house is all electric.

PW2

Commander

When talking about a cord of wood, you have to make sure you are talking about the same thing. Out west, we always referred to a cord as 4' x 4' by 8'<br /><br />When I got back east, they talk about a face cord, as opposed to a full cord. I recall getting excited about only paying a small amount per cord here, until I found out they could get 4 of them in a pickup truck in one load.<br /><br />I heat now with nat gas--I had the opportunity to lock in to a price for this year that was about 10% higher than last year. I was worried that may have been a mistake at the time, but I am less worried now. It costs me about $120 a month in the dead of winter here (About three months heavy duty heating)<br /><br />We are expecting lots of snow this winter. I was fishing in the St Mary's river just below lake Superior, and the water Temp was 69 deg F--That's maybe 10 or more deg above normal from what I've been told.

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oil a week before Katrina $2.089<br />After Katrina jumped to $2.589<br /><br />Had 300 gallons delivered right before Katrina and thats about what I will use this winter. I have dual tanks for a total capacity of 550 gallons, so I can make it through the winter without a fill-up. I also replaced three old windows that were very inefficient and drafty. I will see how much that helps this winter. I would like to have a wood burner, but my insurance man said the home owners would be alot higher. Thinking about building a new home in the next couple of years and might go with an outside boiler.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have an ancient natural gas heater that we only use during a power outage. Burns a lot of gas, but heats well.<br /><br />Otherwise it's two pellet stoves at opposite ends of the house. Large insert in the living room and a stand alone in my office. Both are on computer controlled thermostats.<br /><br />Keeps the house a pleasant 74 degrees. On the worst stormy night we go through one forty pound bag per stove.<br /><br />We used wood stoves for two years and realized that the mess and the hauling of the delivered wood from the driveway to the backyard was too much.

dolluper

Captain

90,000 btu natural gas furnace,cranked to 76 to maintain about 70-72 .It's cold and the winds blow hard here in the winter.$1300.00 a year in heat

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oil and I usually use 650-700 gallons. I have a 1000 gal tank which I get filled every year in July. Well I spent a bunch of cash but I got my delivery at 2.19/gallon and now people are happy to lock in at 2.50/gallon.<br /><br />I keep a cord of wood on hand in case of a power outage to use in my back up wood stove.<br /><br />Bob

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

sorry doubled