how do you feel about being asked for a donation at stores BUY THE SALES CLERK !

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: how do you feel about being asked for a donation at stores BUY THE SALES CLE

Re: how do you feel about being asked for a donation at stores BUY THE SALES CLE

""the JIMMY FUND""<br /><br />??<br /><br />The Find Jimmy Hoffa Fund? <br /><br />Who's Jimmy?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Selling stuff is different. I try to buy when I can.<br /><br />But sitting on the road begging so they can go on their trip is repulsive. We never begged for money, we always sold stuff.<br /><br />I too dont like the checkers asking for donations.<br /><br />Ken

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by all thumbs:<br /> I'am a sucker for when the kids sell stuff, little league,scouts,band,so on.
Aha - thumbs nailed another one. I think the scouts are great organizations too... so I always buy from them. Anything that can keep them going is OK in my book.<br /><br />Sean

tommays

Admiral

the jimmy fund is supposed to be a child cancer fund<br /><br />it became common here to send out the ushers before every showing with cans to beg for money NOW it seems like every store is starting to do this at checkout <br /><br /><br />listen i just paid to much money to take my family to a movie and snacks and now you want to guilt trip me :rolleyes: <br /><br />tommays

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess I'm lucky. I live in a small town in the country on the outskirts of a "big" city and the only time the cashiers, whom I'm on a first name basis with, only ask for donations when a kid on the high school football team has been diagnosed with cancer or something like that. Whenever I see a Salvation Army bell ringer during the holidays, I'll drop a dollar in the bucket. When I get into Columbus, no way no how will I give a penny to anyone other than the types I mentioned above.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I'll give to the smaller charities, whether begging or selling. By smaller charities, I mean the local little-league, the local high-school band, scouts. I know the money will reach it's destination.<br /><br />I don't support the big charities, I want to support a cause, not a bureaucracy. If memory serves, only 25% of funds given to United Way after 9/11 actually reached it's destination, the rest got eaten in overhead. Millions of dollars.<br /><br />I'm not too keen on the Salvation Army, either. All it takes is one bad experience, and I had mine several years back. During a local flood, I was with several volunteers out in the cold and rain to shovel sandbags and such, and the Salvation army was out there to sell coffee to the volunteers, and a bit overpriced at that. Nice, real charitable.

Link

Rear Admiral

Girl/Boy scouts etc.. yea we buy them cookies<br />Bum/Beggars.. NOT<br />PBS... at least them Bum/Beggars give ya a cool<br />"Doctor Who" T-Shirt for 60 bucks! :D

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hm. Wilkin, I've always held the Salvation Army in high regard but if what you say is true, that scenario is in very poor taste and just plain unacceptable. Did you write to the Salvation Army about that? If you didn't for whatever reason, I will. They do good work and something like that seems very uncharacteristic and should be taken care of immediately.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) don't like it at all when a cashier ask for a donation!!!<br /><br />I just politely say "NO"!!!!, that the government gives them plenty of research money!!! ;) :cool:

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Had to sell raffle tickets to play pee wee football as a kid. I truely hated it. I now buy stuff for the wrestling team, football, baseball etc. Beggers no way. Street musicians can get a buck out of me if they have any talent.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

ErikDC- No, I didn't write. It was beyond several years ago, I think I was about 20ys old, it didn't really occur to me.