how do you feel about being asked for a donation at stores BUY THE SALES CLERK !

tommays

Admiral
it started with the JIMMY FUND at movies the ushers come down the isles and pass the cans<br /><br />now it seams that everywere i buy stuff from a cup of coffee in the mourning to a pair of socks in the afternoon and now even when i am food shoping somebody wants a DONATION as i am paying<br /><br />just wondering if others fell its out of control ?<br /><br /><br />tommays

Ron G

Commander
Re: how do you feel about being asked for a donation at stores BUY THE SALES CLE

Re: how do you feel about being asked for a donation at stores BUY THE SALES CLE

Drives me nuts,these people at red lights in the middle of the road,always begging for some kind of donations but the worst is the phone calls when im eating supper begging for a donation :mad: :mad: If i want to give some of these people money ill find them ,they dont need to bother me.done with my little vent.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I ignore everyone of them.<br /><br />At the end of the day, someone is making big profits on most of these, and the people who need the money get very little.<br /><br />I only donate through my program at work or at church.<br /><br />Ken

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

There was a thing on the local news the other day......You ever have somebody bring in a box of candy, and you donate a buck to buy the candy bar or whatever.....They have found several scams with that lately.The seller says it goes for charity,and it just may....but only pennies on the dollar goes to the chairity...Something to think about for sure.<br /><br />They did say some of those candy sellers are legit,but you have to check.

KRS

Banned

work and church

stellarx

Cadet

needcash.jpg

C-Roy

Cadet

At least that guy's honest. It really chaps my tail for people to come up wanting money for a hamburger and all they want to do is go to liquor store. The way I handle that is to offer to go get them a hamburger. Amazing how many of them decide they are not hungry!

Stratosfied

Ensign

About the only one I always give to on the street is the Shiners once a year. They are set up at the main intersection in town.

KaGee

Admiral

Everytime I walk into WALMART, someone is out front with can in hand. <br /><br />Whatever happened to organizations offering a service or product in exchange for their support i.e. car washes, suppers, candy sales etc.? I guess begging is much too easier.<br /><br />I give 99% through my church. I know where the money is going and I trust the people and organizations that get it. <br /><br />As an example... CONVOY of HOPE was one of the first organizations on the scene in the early hours after the hurricanes last year. Providing water, food, clothing and more for the survivors. Their overhead costs are miniscule so the bulk of the money reaches the need at the grass roots. I no longer support the "name" organizations whose bloated beauracracies suck out as much as 60% of the dollars donated.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I never ever give to any group begging for money so they can go on a trip. Even little leaguers.<br /><br />I once saw grown women asking for donations so their softball team could go to a tournament.<br /><br />Whatever happened to bake sales or car washes.<br /><br />Now they just beg... SO THEY ON A TRIP!!!!! :rolleyes: <br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

I never give to street bums. I offer them food but not money and I let them know where they can find food and shelter locally.<br /><br />I do however give to organizations such as the Lion's Club, Shriners, Salvation Army, Red Cross, Little League, Girl Scouts, etc. After running a non-profit for 8 years I know how hard it is to raise the necessary funds to support these programs.<br /><br />Our local beggars average about $1,000 a day. Seems to me they don't need my money to support their drug habit and they won't get it either.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I guess if you get called for a donation from some organization you can ask them what percentage goes to the cause....and they have to tell you. The othe day some charity called for disabled veterans, and i asked what percent of the donation actually goes to them. They told me it was 14%. That is ridiculous, and i cant imagine it being better with any other charities. Thats why like most of you i donate primarily through church, or when the knights of columbus does the tootsie roll thing for the mentally handicapped, but only then because i'm a memeber of that group and i know that all the money goes towards the effort.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The only thing I do, and I have been doing this ever since my first one started school a long time ago, is when they have their programs at school to help the less fortunate school kids because they don't have proper clothes or shoes, etc.<br />They have a program where you can go in and pick a child or two or how ever many you want and they list what they need the most.<br /><br />I always go for 3 cause that's how many I put through the same schools here.<br /><br />Same thing at Christmas time.<br />You pick a family and have the choice of either giving without your name to them or the way I do it, I put on my Santa outfit,
GetThumb.php
and deliver them myself.<br />Can't get over the looks on them kid's faces when I show up.<br /><br />That's about the only one I give to so to speak.

eeboater

Commander

Not to hijack, but SBN... is there 1 too many hands behind your head or am I going nutso?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Not to hijack, but SBN... is there 1 too many hands behind your head or am I going nutso?
No your not nutso :D <br />There is a real little guy behind me as you can see his leg just to the left of mine.<br />Well he ain't too little, but he is there. :D

sid the squid

Seaman

There was a guy last summer in front of wall mart with a sign that read will work for food, at the time I had a big brush pile that needed to be moved about 100 feet so I could burn it, I stopped and asked the guy if he was interested in making some money moving it, he held out the coffe can he was holding and told me he would take a donation but wasn't interested in working at all.So I tossed my cigarette into his can and told him to get f%@#$$.

KaGee

Admiral

Hey Spinner... that's the way to do it.<br />Guess that's one advantage of living in a small community... you get to know who really needs help opposed to them trying to welch the system.

KaGee

Admiral

I just noticed Tommays changed the header. No, I don't appreciate the checkout people asking if i'd like to donate blah, blah, blah... anymore than the people outside the door.

eeboater

Commander

I don't mind giving money to the vets that are collecting money for the VFW. They usually hand out those small fake-flowers.<br /><br />Sean

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

I'am a sucker for when the kids sell stuff, little league,scouts,band,so on. On poppy day for sure. Don't like checkers asking me at the store.