How do I tow home an out of state trailer/boat

powrguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I live in Ohio. If I buy a boat in New Jersey, for example, how do I trailer it home (assuming I buy a boat with a trailer included)?

I know that in Ohio, you just need a bill of sale and weight verification to get a registration and trailer license plate.

My question is how do I tow it across 3 states with no tags on it?

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How do I tow home an out of state trailer/boat

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but go to a license service place and get yourself a temporary registration. I did that after buying a boat in NY.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I'm in PA and worked in a motorcycle dealer for years. If someone from out of state bought a bike and wanted to ride it home, all we had to do was transfer the title and for an extra fee he got a temp PA plate good for 90 days. Call a notary in NJ and ask them if they do something similar.

powrguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I thought of that. Where? In Ohio, before I go to buy the rig and don't have any info to provide (such as bill of sale, weight slip, etc.) OR in New Jersey (my example), where I am an out-of-state unknown? That's what I don't quite know how to handle. I THINK that it would be there in New Jersey, where I present a bill of sale and get "transport tags" similar to what you would do with an out-of-state auto purchase, right?

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I believe your temp tag will come from the state you purchase in. Then you get a permanent tag in your home state. Like I said, your best bet will be to pick a notary in NJ can call and ask.

powrguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. That's what I'm gonna try. They don't have titles for trailers in NJ, either, so it's just the Bill of Sale, I think. I'll call them.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Ask the seller to leave the plates on it and mail them back when you get home.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know about other states, but in Michigan, if you buy a vehicle, boat, trailer etc, you can drive the shortest route home without a plate provided you have the signed title and bill of sale with you. It might be worth a call the the three states you plan on traveling through to see if it is the same way there.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

With a bill of sale you are usually good for a limited amount of time. You'd have to ask your local DMV.

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bet if just have a bill of sale and drive it home you'll be fine, if you happen to get stopped, just explain the situation and I'd be you'll be let off.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I believe your temp tag will come from the state you purchase in. Then you get a permanent tag in your home state. Like I said, your best bet will be to pick a notary in NJ can call and ask.

I sold my last boat back at the beginning of summer and this is how it worked in my situation. I sold the boat in PA and the guy buying it was from NJ. We went to the local notary and did all the transfer stuff including a bill of sale. He then purchased a temp. plate from PA good for a limited time to trailer the boat back to NJ where he purchased a permenant plate.

Good luck!

45Auto

Commander

Get a notarized bill of sale and don't worry about it.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Get a notarized bill of sale and don't worry about it.

Ditto. Bought mu boat in FL, trailer back to GA. Transaction took place on a Sat, noone open to get a temp reg from anyway. Had signed Bill of Sale and original Certifiace of Origin on the trailer as well...

iBrent

Seaman

Just be glad you're not going through MA. I bought my boat in NH and the dealer gave me a temp NH tag for the trailer. My insurance company informed me that MA doesn't recognize temporary tags from ANY state no matter what and if they had pulled me over whilst bringing the boat home they could have impounded it.

So verify the rules of all 3 states before convincing yourself a temporary NJ tag will suffice.

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Every state is different and you have to understand each state law that the boat and trailer is towed through. That being said, I have towed boats or just trailer through at least 12 states with just a bill of sale with no problems.

Yesterday, I pulled a boat through Michigan, Indiana and Kentucky without any plate.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I live in Nebraska and bought my boat in Arizona. The trailer had expired tags on it and I was stopped in Colorado. Showed him the bill of sale and he thanked me and sent me on my way.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A boat trailer doesn't require a tag in SC so I didn't have one when I towed my boat across the US and up to Alaska and back. I wasn't stopped anytime during the 14,000 mile trip.

Alaska05-ALL677.jpg

powrguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all who responded.

I wound up pulling the Robalo back to Ohio from New Jersey, using the previous owner's plate, and mailed it back to him.

Worked out fine.

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a 1969 Chrysler Valiant 14' with the original Chrysler trailer and motor back in June of this year in Ohio off of Ebay. I had a notorized BOS for the trailer (Ohio doesn't require a title for small trailers.) and notoraized/signed titles for the boat and motor. Obviously, the trailer had no tags. Tried to get a temp tag here in VA., complete "catch 22" situation. Ultimately, I checked with our local sheriff, explained my dilemma and his response. "Son, go to Ohio and get the damn thing and if anybody stops you and gives you grief, tell 'em to call me" as he handed my his card. Ultimately I drove to Ohio, P/U the boat dna drove home with no issues. But it was nice to know I had a little back up.