how do i tell if my fuel pump is bad?

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
well finally had my boat out yesterday for first run worked ok missed a little at idle but other then that not bad. well today had it running in my yard in a drum doin some carb settings i shut engine off now it dont want to start its got good spark both plugs took carb off all good very clean. i tryed sqeezing primer bulb with gas line off the one that hooks to the carb shot lots of gas out then tryed pulling engine over with the same gas line off gas just dribles out how else could i check fuel pump or anything else that may cause this problem? o and the plugs are dry so i know its a fuel issue and engine is 1966 evinrude ski-twin 33hp

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: how do i tell if my fuel pump is bad?

Squeeze the bulb and see if the motor keeps running. If it does fuel pump, if it doesn't there's other issues!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Tee a pressure gauge into the outlet ... should get 3 to six psig. Or crank engine (make sure it can't start) with out let disconnected. You should get long strong fuel pulses or pump is NG.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well got it to start again it was the linkage that goes from the carb to timming plate does anyone know how to set that linkage properly? guess it advaces timing? its 1966 evinrude ski-twin 33hp

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We will need model # you can also try the top secret files. Good luck!