How do I tell a born again christian to back off

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do I tell a born again christian to back off

Ditto on what JamesCoste said! There's no better way to be a witness than to do so by example!<br />There's the old saying that Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven...I'm a perfect example of that.<br />It's upsetting to me, as a Christian, to see that most of those who witness, as the co-worker mentioned above, rarely practice what they preach.

aspeck

Staff member

As a pastor, I like to share my faith, because it has helped me in so many ways. If it is so good for me, it must be good for you, right?<br /><br />With that said, it is important to establish credibility by the way you live your life before spouting off statements and you should never condemn anyone - it is God's job to judge, not ours. So, what would I do in your shoes, Blu Lunch? First, I would thank your co-worker for caring enough about you to share with you what has worked for him and that he feels so passionate about. 2.) Let him know that there are some things you agree with, but others you don't. 3.) Firmly ask him to please change the subject. You know it is the most important part of his life, but these are things that make you feel uncomfortable. 4.) Let him know that you appreciate his positions and if you have any questions you will ask him, but tell him to please leave the religion topic alone until you have had time to digest all that he has said up to this point. You will let him know when that point is. You can remind him that Jesus himself said to Zacchaeus -the horribly evil taxman, I'm going to your house today. He wanted to build a relationship. He didn't say I am going to preach to you today. So let's work on the relationship and see what happens from there.<br /><br />Remember, in his eyes he wants to help you. SO LET HIM KNOW HOW HE CAN HELP YOU. Stress the relationships that Jesus built and you may get somewhere with him.<br /><br />If that doesn't work, then use your 345lbs to intimidate him. :) <br /><br />Seriously, I am sorry that so many what to push Jesus down other's throats. I know what my faith has done for me and I want to share it with everyone. But if you don't see a life in me that is different or desireable, then what good is anything I have to say? I must build credibility first.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by aspeck:<br />But if you don't see a life in me that is different or desireable, then what good is anything I have to say? I must build credibility first.
Exactly! :cool:

NYMINUTE

Captain

Just Say NO!, or get a rope!

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Those kinda folks drive me literally freaking nuts when they come knocking on my door, i actually run them off in a not very polite manner :mad: <br />On many an occassion i have told them that religion is the last refuge for the anti christ.<br /><br />Holy moley! the looks which i get back from them is of pure venom, lately i don't get anyone ringing my door bell, i now have a tiny but very noticable plaque on my door that says " If you would like to witness tommorow, DO NOT SOLICIT HERE."<br />That little plaque has saved me a lot of aggravation.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Ditto Aspeck and James. The first step to Witnessing is by example. Otherwise, you have 0 credability.<br /><br />As for the original question, I would explain as Bassy posted. As a fellow Christian, I would probably try to explain to him that his approach is a real put-off to some folks and that it may be a roadblock to his efforts before he even starts.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Say, Vlad... You would'nt happen to know where a feller could get one of them plaques in espanol (spanish), would ya?.... :confused:

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> Say, Vlad... You would'nt happen to know where a feller could get one of them plaques in espanol (spanish), would ya?.... :confused:
In spanish? :eek: <br /><br />Hey! I only live in Texas bro', i sure don't speak the native language :D <br /><br />The plaque was made by my brother in law who resides in Louisiana, and presented to me as a birthday gift, i tell ya,<br />that dude is a real cheapskate :D

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I have been there before. I tell them I am Catholic and have very strong beliefs. I make it clear that my beliefs are the same as his, but I do not like to flaunt my religion. It is also clear that as Christians we have a duty to spread the word, but I already know it and do not like to discuss it at work. <br />Usually when I get to the catholic part that ends the discussion, unless they try to save me from catholicism by teaching me the lies they have learned about my religion. (that only happened once).<br />Just tell him you have your beliefs and want to be left alone in your beliefs.

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Being forced into the catholic church as a kid, I don't much like being preached to... When I get a knock on the door I just let them know I don't believe in it, and that I believe religion is a substitute for poeple who don't believe in themselves. The usual response is "You don't believe in god?". When I say no, then it's "You're going to hell!", and my reply, "If I can't get into heaven because I don't believe in god, then I guess I can't go to hell, because I don't believe in that either." Usually not much else to say unless they get all defensive... then it's time to put the smack down! Like my dad does to phone soliciters.... when they ask for a specific person, he says "Hold on, I'll go get him/her..." Then he sets the phone down on the table and continues doing whatever he was doing... comes back every few minutes to see if they're still waiting, until they finally hang up. He figures, "If they are going to waste my time, I'm going to waste some of theirs!" Would take a little self control to put up with, but ignore him long enough he might get it eventually. Probably not good recomendations for use on a co-worker, but works for soliciters.

rogerwa

Commander

What bugs me is that the ones that loudly proclaim their being born again are the ones that had the deepest hole to climb out of. and they take pleasure in telling you how you should change yourself. I don't condemn anyone who says they have found new faith as there are many that are genuine. It just seems to me that the loudest ones seem to do it not to save you, but to make themselves feel better.<br /><br />I am a catholic and am not the best evangelist. I like to lead by example. That is what I do with my kids.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Today was very differant than yesterday. I went in a little early and he was there already and I politley ask him if we could talk and I said that I don't have anything that I dont like about you and I appresate the time and effort you spent talking to me but I attend church and I deal with my sprital problems with myself and god alone and if I need to talk to some one I can go see my priest. He stood up and said he was sorry if he offended me and it won't happen again we shook hand and not a word was said about it today. We talked fishing and boating all day......Big differance!!!!!!!!!!!!

bubbakat

Captain

That man is a true born again person.

crab bait

Captain

or you can do it that way...<br /><br />but i still wish youda bit the head off a bat..

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Glad to hear about the happy ending. Most born agains are usually just trying to share their peace of mind and happiness they found. I have faced some zealous ones and they usually do have their heart in the right place, just have their imperatives in different places than I. There is a time and place for everything.

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey glad it turned out the way it did.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I'm also glad it worked out. Now get back to work!<br /> :p :p <br />Bassy

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

That's pretty cool of him, glad it turned out that way-bats don't taste too good raw!

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

oops-single click, double post....most wierd.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> Tell him your a wikken or a druid. :D Ken
This doesn't work only gets them fired up even more. I am a studying druid{shaman} have been for over 12 yrs. A friend of mine is a so called born again when the subject came up he did almost everything he could except drive me down to he!! himself. The funny thing is that I don't believe in he!! so that made an even more interesting interaction. I have nothing against anyones religion{like to talk about the different types} but I do strongly believe it is between them and their faith, it should not be put up for sale like a cheap box of cigars.