How do I tell a born again christian to back off

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
I need some help don't take this the wrong way. In my department at work they gave me a helper that's on light duty and I have a good job for him, yesterday I trained to do the new job every thing was fine , today he came in and preached his religion the whole 8 hours I could not shut him up one bit. I go to church but I don't preach at work either. I guy asked me about anything bad that changed my life and I told about my 17 year old brother that was killed by a drunk in 1979. What a mistake he had me feeling so guilty about my life I nearly cried in work today. I told my boss he thinks its a joke. How can I back this guy off with out doing something stupid?.....

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do I tell a born again christian to back off

Do you have a "Rules of Conduct" posting or handbook at work?<br />Chances are there is some mention of religious intolerance or persecution. Read it and find out.<br /><br />Next time your co-worker broaches the subject politly but firmly inform him that you find his topic choice to be a personal matter that you do not care to discuss on the clock. Inform him that if he continues to badger you you will follow the procedures in your "Rules of Conduct" handbook. <br /><br />Some people just don't take the hint and you may have to call him on this a couple of times. <br />After that go to Human Resources.<br /><br />Human Resources should be able to handle this without much of a flap.

ndemge

Commander

HR... their job to walk that line<br /><br />...or just slap him silly and tell him to shutup and get to work

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I guess I'll be paying HR a visit if it goes on. From the size of me I wouldn't want to get me POed I'm 6-4 1/2 and 345 lbs he's 210 tops I don't want to go that route, Lets see what happens tommorrow I'll post tommorrow night......Ted

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

What I have always done is start talking to those people about how in fact Jesus was an astronaut from the planet we originated from. I go on to tell them that the lost city of Atlantis is in fact the ship we came to earth on from our dying planet, and the ship had crashed. Chaos ensued, humanity forgot, through generations of having to just survive on a hostile foreign planet, the technology they once had. Jesus came from another planet Humans had occupied to try to bring us up to speed, but we were barbarians, and we killed him just because he was different. Even today, we are influenced by our bretheren on other planets who are just trying to coax us along by giving us technologies. <br /><br />As you could guess, the born agains will have long since ran away, in shocked disbelief over what I just said to them, never to bother me again. Its very entertaining....

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Most poeple like that are New Borns and they are just excited about their experiance and want to talk about it. <br /><br />What works for me, is to tell them that your not sure theyre for-real. So, for them to give it time for the new to wear off, and if they still feel the same way in three years, then come back, and you might be more willing to discuss the topic with them. <br /><br />I also agree with Parrott_head.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

First off Im "saved" "born again" or whatever you want to call a Christian. Reel Poor is right it can be exciting and the Bible tells us to go out and spread the word so he probably feels like he is doing you a service but I also understand personal space and I know that craming something down somebodys throat that does not want to hear it or is not ready to hear it will do nothing but turn them in the other direction. Its a good sign that you are asking what to do instead of "slapping him" or going to the HR first. I say tell the dude to back off, you heard what he has to say and if you have any questions you will ask. If he doesnt listen then you should take the next step. If it keeps up tell your boss you dont find it very funny and maybe you sould find a higher up to tell them your problem. But here is the deal most "born agains" are really trying to help......problem is is their personalities often get in the way of the message. :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Firmly, but politely.... "I'm not interested.. Thanks anyway"..<br />.<br />.<br />If that don't git-r-done, knock him into next week.... :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have nothing against anyone or any church, but if I want to hear it, I will go to church and listen. I don't want it in my face all the time.<br /><br />Just tell the guy that while your on the clock, you don't want to hear this and just to do his job that the company is paying him to do, and I'm sure that ain't to preach to you.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Visit your local voodoo shop before work and hang a few talking chicken heads above his chair. And of course, speak in tongues. :)

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> Firmly, but politely.... "I'm not interested.. Thanks anyway"..<br />
This is what I'd advise. The if that doesn't work Roscoe's idea would be next. :D <br /> You can handle this without HR. Really. HR is last resort in my opinion.<br />Good luck.<br />Let us know what you did and how it worked. <br />Bassy

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Blu Lunch-<br /> I talked to a friend of mine who is a born again christian and a preacher's daughter and asked her what she'd do in your situation. Here is what she said. " I'd just tell the person straight out, "You know, I respect your beliefs but I'm in a different place in my faith and I don't like to feel like I'm being comdemned every time we talk."<br />She said if you say you're not interested they'll actually try harder. So, just thought I'd let you know.<br />Bassy

Link

Rear Admiral

Blu Lunch <br />I'm 6-4 1/2 and 345 lbs <br />Holy Crapola... err Yea I can say that as this is a Holy thread ;) <br />You would have to tell me only once on any subject! LOL<br /><br />I think Reel Poor & mikeandrondaare pretty much spot on.<br /><br />HR:<br />Is last on my list (more on that later.)<br /><br />First:<br />Take some of the good ideas of talking to him like mentioned above.<br /><br />Second: <br />If that doesnt work do JASONJs and roscoes at the same time :D <br /><br />Third:<br />If all this fails do what snapperbait said and smack him into next week so hard that his jaw has to be wired shut! <br />Then tell HR that you were in fear for your life the whole time he was talking because if you didnt do as he said you'd go to hell and it was the only to shut him up.<br />Now HR will be on your side..<br /><br />Luck to ya

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I'm a born-again Christian and do feel that it is my (and every other born-again Christian's) responsibility to share the faith so people will have a chance to accept Christ's forgiveness and spend eternity in Heaven (and have an abundant life here on earth). I realize that is a powerful statement; however, that is what I read in my Bible.<br /><br />Here's the difference with me. I first try to get to know somebody and then over time they will realize that I'm a Christian and eventually they wonder why I act the way I do. I honestly don't think I've ever offended anybody by my explanation because I put no pressure on them. I simply state my beliefs and share scriptures that support that belief. If a co-worker/friend doesn't accept my beliefs, they remain my friend/co-worker.<br /><br />No pressure.

crab bait

Captain

bite the head off a bat .. an suck it's neck like juice pop..

LadyFish

Admiral

I think every born again I meet thinks they have to 'save' me for some reason.<br /><br />I just tell them, I'm devoted to the faith I was born and raised with, they usually respect that.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I find the born-again shtick about as appealing as phone solicitations at dinner time. <br /><br />There is the "Do not call" list to stop phone solicitations. Maybe we can form a national "Do not witness" list?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Tell him your a wikken or a druid. :D <br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

Ditto what James Coste said.<br /><br />Be polite and firm. Tell him to not discuss such matters at work.