How do I start my motor out of the boat?

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys:

I've recently rebuilt a Mercruiser 165 inline 6 and I have it ready to go bolted to a 2 x 4 platform in my garage. I want to start it before I install it to take care of any possible leaks or problems. It's wired and full of fluids but I don't know where to attach the starter cables from the battery. I attached the neg to the block and the pos to the starter but nothing happened. Any advice?

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: How do I start my motor out of the boat?

You have it hooked up correctly. You then need to make or buy a remote starter switch. Hook one lead of the RSS to the battery hot, the other to the starter solenoid acuator terminal. Then just push the button to get the motor to crank. The button must be a momentary switch, so that when you let go, the power is shut off.
BUT.
If you want the motor to run, you also have to power the coil with another on/off switch, this one not momentary, but breakable. (so you can shut the motor off)

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many thanks for your prompt reply, I'll get on that later today.
Forgive me but how do I "power the coil"? Would you please explain how to wire that?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Many thanks for your prompt reply, I'll get on that later today.
Forgive me but how do I "power the coil"? Would you please explain how to wire that?
You need to connect the wire running to the coil to the "I" terminal on the ignition switch......;)