how do I replace one of the exhaust elbows on my 86 AQ225?

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
One of the rubber elbows that comes through the transom has been missing since I got this boat. I would like to replace it, but it looks complicated. I am tired of the exhaust coming out right on to the sterndrive. Is there a secret to installing a new elbow with out taking everything apart. Please help.
Thanks,
Dave

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: how do I replace one of the exhaust elbows on my 86 AQ225?

If you have the same hose as my aq231b then you are supposed to pull engine and Y-pipe to replace. Mine got burned up during a overheat and I didnt want to go through that to fix so I put some dish soap on the flange that makes the seal and worked it in with some screwdrivers just have to make sure it seats in the groove and does'nt push all the way in. Was not very easy but mine seems to be working okay. Hope this helps good luck.
TJ

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Remove the engine, remove the exhaust Y then you can access the elbows.

The flange on the new elbows is what seals the exhaust Y to the transom shield.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you say "elbow", I think about something that is bent at an angle of 70-90?.

I suspect you mean "bellow" instead, and you are talking about the exhaust bellow, that goes from the transom to the sterndrive. The lower one of the two bellows, outside the boat.

Can you confirm this?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was assuming he was talking about the exhaust relief hoses that are elbows.

attachment.php

Attachments

• vp0843235.jpg
    vp0843235.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 0

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don S. is correct. This elbow has been missing for years. I just figured that I should finally replace it. It was gone when I acquired the boat. It doesn't appear to affect performance. I already had the sterndrive off this winter but I didn't really want to pull the engine.