How do I repair this (with pics)

SVFreddy

Cadet
So I have this boat that needs a lil work.
My question is, Whats the best way to finish this hack job I got myself into?
Should I keep using fiberglass till its built out enough then sand or sand it smooth now and use some type of puddy to fill in the small imperfections?
Any help would be appreciated.
Also, The rub rail is damaged. How can I go about fixing that without replacing the whole thing?
I believe the boat is a 2002 marada 18'
20130420_152511.jpg20130420_152506.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I repair this (with pics)

What's it look like on the inside? Do you have access to the inside?

SVFreddy

Cadet

it was a small slit that went thru but I think the guy that patched it closed it up.
Otherwise if your asking if the inside is accessible then the answer is yes. I can see the fiberglass from the inside.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The Rub railis the junction point where the top cap and the hull of the boat are joined together. The Aluminum rail attaches with screws or rivets and the rubber insert hides these as well as provides some protection for the boat at the dock and for other boats coming along side. It appears that at some time there has been some sort of impact at this area and a portion of the rail has be removed and lost. You can purchase this and patch it in to make it look better. The cobbled up glass work is another matter. What is your desired outcome? Do you want it to look New @ 6" Or Good @ 5 feet? Do you have any previous glassin skills? Gelcoat experience? What's your Budget? We have a lot of experienced guys here on the forum that can give you all the info you need, but they will be asking all these questions.;)

SVFreddy

Cadet

From what I can tell, Its not aluminum but plastic. I have little experience with fiberglass but take directions well. I would be ok with it being good at 5' no need to be perfect. No gelcoat experience and would like to keep this as a budget fix but im willing to be reasonable with repair costs.
Again from what i've noticed the back part is all plastic along with the rubber molding which appears to be ok and intact I would just need to splice in the missing back part of the rub rail which could be bought in sections im hoping???
Thanks for all the help so far. anything helps.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, you will have to search the web for rigid plastic rubrail with flexible rubber insert to find a vendor that carries the product and see about ordering the amount you need. I've listed some below. The Glass repair will basically entail sanding all the carp off that's there and either gelcoating it or trying to match some paint to the color of the gelcoat that's there. The gelcoat looks to be in pretty good condition so matching the gelcoat should be fairly easy to do so I'd prolly go that route. We got some good gelcoat guys on here that can guide you thru that process.
http://www.barbourcorp.com/marine-prod-rubrails.htm
http://www.tacomarine.com/2010program/support/rub_rails.htm
http://rubrail.com/
http://piersupply.com/Solid-Rigid-Viny-Rub-Rail-and-Inserts

SVFreddy

Cadet

Thanks for the info. i will tackle this, this weekend if time permits and follow up.

Decker83

Commander

Welcome to i-boats SVFreddy..

By looking at the pics there is some of the cap missing and some more damage to the hull..
I would look very close at the inside of the hull and see if the fiberglass has cracked from the impact..
This looks more than a cosmetic fix..
I'm no expert but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in..
Good luck with your adventure..:D

SVFreddy

Cadet

Decker: It seems fine inside and the damage looks isolated. I guess the damage was caused by the boat rubbing on something while stationary. (possibly a dock???)