How do I patch fiberglass?

ttexastim

Seaman Apprentice
New boat owner here. I'm working on restoring a 1984 Cheetah. There are lots of spots where screws have stripped out leaving 1/4 inch holes. How to I repair this so I can affix parts back into place? I have never worked with fiberglass before. Is there some way I can fill the holes so that I can just drive a screw back through?

Also ... any fiberglass 101 type tips you can give me would be much appreciated. What screws should I use? Any preferred anchor type system needed when attaching parts to the boat?

Thanks in advance!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I patch fiberglass?

Welcome to iBoats!!!

Need more info. What kind of boat? Where are the holes? What parts are you attaching?

Stainless steel screws and bolts are HIGHLY recommended.

Post some pics of her. My signature has a link on how to post em.

Here is a link to fiberglass info
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286013

P3FE

Seaman

Assuming you are talking about 1/4 countersink holes, the fix should be easy IF the wood below the fiberglass area is still intact. Simply buy new longer STAINLESS steel screws and redrill them in. Use a glob of silicon on the screws to seal them. Hope this helps. If the wood is really rotten from water intrusion, you may not be able to fix the problem without removing the deck to inspect the damage. Post pics..someone here will give you guidance...good luck!

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Also ... any fiberglass 101 type tips you can give me would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Read the stickys at the top of the forum page. Great information there.