How do I fill the intermediate housing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheehandler24

Seaman Apprentice
I’ve got an old StarCraft with a 140 omc in it and I was servicing the upper and lower units the other day. I have never serviced the intermediate because there doesn’t seem to be a drain plug anywhere (and believe me I’ve looked everywhere) and it bugs the hell out of me. There’s a fill plug at the top and I can’t see oil in it, I’m scared to pump oil into it for fear of air locking. Does anyone have any idea what’s going on here?

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
It's at 12:00 just next to big rubber gasket where intermediate goes thru hull

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Do you happen to know of anything else that would help me date it?
The paperwork such as title and registration

Post a pic of the drive. ( And stand back 10 feet from where you think you want to stand to take the pic)

Sheehandler24

Seaman Apprentice
The paperwork such as title and registration

Post a pic of the drive. ( And stand back 10 feet from where you think you want to stand to take the pic)
In the bill of sale he said it was an 81 but I have my doubts about that. This is the best picture I have of it right now

Attachments

• IMG_0453.png
    IMG_0453.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 4

froggy1150

That's more like a early 70's.
As for oil.. I sucked it out with a big syringe and then blew the rest out with compressed air and a bunch of rags to manage spray. Then I flushed it with brakeclean, then air again to dry. I wanted to get it as clean as possible because it had a bit of water in it. There is a fill plug on the outside of the drive. It's almost about the size of a dime with a flat head screwdriver slot in it. I filled it to that level

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those electric shift drives were last marketed in 1977.-----They are not well loved / respected today.

Sheehandler24

Seaman Apprentice
Those electric shift drives were last marketed in 1977.-----They are not well loved / respected today.
Yeah I’m gonna keep it well serviced and make it last as long as possible. The moment something goes wrong she’s getting sold and I’m getting something with a merc in it. Was very cheap for a big aluminum boat though so I have no complaints

Sheehandler24

Seaman Apprentice
That's more like a early 70's.
As for oil.. I sucked it out with a big syringe and then blew the rest out with compressed air and a bunch of rags to manage spray. Then I flushed it with brakeclean, then air again to dry. I wanted to get it as clean as possible because it had a bit of water in it. There is a fill plug on the outside of the drive. It's almost about the size of a dime with a flat head screwdriver slot in it. I filled it to that
I wonder if a guy could just stick a vacuum pump on the fill and empty it that way. That covers a total beach to take off.

froggy1150

You would need a real small tube to fit down that small fill hole and would never know how much you really got out

Sheehandler24

Seaman Apprentice
You would need a real small tube to fit down that small fill hole and would never know how much you really got out
Yeah I managed to find a fitting that that screwed into it and hooked it to my hand pump. I got most of it out I think, but I’ll just suck the new stuff I put in after I use it this weekend and hopefully that’s a good enough flush. The oil I pulled out surprisingly wasn’t very milky

AdamRoberts

Cadet
Anyone know how much oil goes in the intermediate housing?
I have an 81 stringer and just in the same service spot

Status
Not open for further replies.