How do I bring luster back to metalflake

tavett

Seaman Apprentice
I have a small area of metalflake paint on my bow that is faded, pitted and has lost it's luster. The bayliner manual said even a novice can repair, but didn't give directions. Can anyone advise? Thanks

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: How do I bring luster back to metalflake

Is it really paint or is it metal flake gel coat? If paint, it can be repainted. If gel coat, it is not easy to fix. Can't polish it out like regular gel coat, so painting is generally the fix too.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Mark is 100% on the gel coat part - however if it is as bad as you say then here's a little something you can try. Wet sand with some 800# to start with, then progress to 1000# or even 1200 or 1500#. The thing to remember with trying to restore a true metalflake finish is that when first applied not all of the flakes will lay down flat - horizontal with the mating surface. Some will point up, to the sides, etc. Therefore when you sand them you will essentially be sanding away some of the flake itself. This could lead to a blotchy, mottled finish. The larger the pieces of flake the more obvious this might appear.
When you think all is well rub you fingertips over it, chances are you're still gonna' feel some very tiny rough edges - keep sanding until all is smooth.
When you're really happy with it you could either buff and wax, or for a more durable, longer lasting finish spray with clear Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000. The 2000 is my preference. Has a much more forgiving attitude towards future touchups.

tavett

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, will look for the supplies this weekend if I'm not on the lake. It's supposed to be mid 70's here in n/w alabama.